Author Topic: Dating help for Baby photo please.Taken in Wales or England.  (Read 2525 times)

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
Dating help for Baby photo please.Taken in Wales or England.
« on: Monday 12 January 15 14:38 GMT (UK) »
We know this is a family photo but that is all. It could be either of parents' families. It seems a difficult one to me but I'm hoping someone may be able to help. We don't know if it's a boy or girl, as both wore dresses until comparatively modern times. I'm attaching jpeg image but can provide a bitmap one if anyone wants that.

Yours in hope

Helen

Clifford, Brigden, Banks, Woolgar, Comber, Coomber, Ridley, Shipley, McDiarmid, Picknell, Mathias, Evans, Morgan, Cottington, Sturt, Illman, Best etc

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dating help for Baby photo please.Taken in Wales or England.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 January 15 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen...I would say it's a boy as he is holding a ball...The daters will want to se a small version of the back including corners if you have it.
Added: Where has the photo gone...did you remove it?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 January 15 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen...I would say it's a boy as he is holding a ball...The daters will want to se a small version of the back including corners if you have it.
Carol

I'm sorry, I uploaded the wrong photo. That one was of a boy, my grandfather. I've now uploaded the right one. I'll do a scan of the back and upload that shortly.
Clifford, Brigden, Banks, Woolgar, Comber, Coomber, Ridley, Shipley, McDiarmid, Picknell, Mathias, Evans, Morgan, Cottington, Sturt, Illman, Best etc

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 January 15 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Carol

Yes, sorry, I removed it because I realized I posted the wrong one. Duh!. I will do a scan of the back and upload it.

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 January 15 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Here is a scan of the back of the photo.

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 January 15 14:56 GMT (UK) »
I've got some chores to do but will be back online a bit later. Thank you

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 January 15 15:43 GMT (UK) »
All I can tell you is that it's after 1902 and most likely a boy...I gave it a quick clean for you. Jim will be along soon.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 January 15 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carol. That was quick and it looks much better.

It's amazing how asking questions can make one aware of things that were overlooked before. Mind you, I'm probably in the minority and should say it makes me think and become aware, as well as ask questions which I should have thought of before. After scanning and posting the photo of the reverse, it occurred to me that the style may hold some clues, with it being a real photo postcard. So I looked at dating postcards and found out about UK introducing the divided back in 1902, which rules out a couple of candidates, as the subjects, straight away. Although it has also just come to mind that as we had photographers in the family and they produced real photo postcards, I'm guessing they could have mounted an older photo as a postcard. Not sure why they would mind you. I only found out about them last year. They operated from after WWI and can' remember when they stopped; not off the top of my head anyway. I'm thinking aloud, in case you hadn't guessed.

Helen

P.S. Can I just ask why you think it is probably a boy?

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 January 15 16:34 GMT (UK) »
I'd think it's a boy, too. Thought so first time I looked at the pic.
Why?  Just looks like a boy, to me.

:P  :P  :P

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)