Author Topic: Bryn Heilyn, Pentrefoelas  (Read 6119 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bryn Heilyn, Pentrefoelas
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 October 18 09:53 BST (UK) »
elsh Journals online   https://journals.library.wales/search/advanced

Search for "bryn heilyn" - with a "y" and again wrapped in punctuation marks. Should return 6 hits.

"Vol 24: Cerrig y Drudion" - col 2 mentions "Bryn Heilyn". Also mentioned are "Llwyn Onn" and "Cernioge Mawr" - which confirms its the Bryn Heilyn you are interested in. I can provide a translation (if required).

"Mehefin 1881" mentions an "E Roberts, Bryn Heilyn, Rhydlydan"

Offline gwen j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Hanes Teulu, thank you so much for the reference to the library journals - most interesting. I did visit the farm a few years ago when we were travelling home from Chester to Neath. Very remote on the windswept moor with only the sheep for company! Unfortunately there was nobody at home the day we visited do could only see the outside. Robert Roberts, my ggg grandfather, lived there in the early 1800’s, all his children were born there ( the youngest in 1816.) By 1841 he was living in Chester and died there in 1844. His wife’s obit in 1855 describes him as a tanner, skinner and farmer. I like the story from 1831 about  Hugh Roberts who drowned on the Sabbath! I’m currently following various inhabitants of the farm to try and work out if they are related to my Roberts family .
Davies-Rhydlewis to Ebbw Vale
Wharton and Ford-Barnard Castle to London
Delany-Staffs.
Lascelles

Offline gwen j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hanes Teulu, the article from 1831 which refers to the drowning of Hugh Roberts of Bryn Heilyn -I’ve been trying to find a death record on parish registers for him without luck. Would that article have been printed at that time, like a newspaper or would it have been referring to something that had happened some time before?
Delany-Staffs.
Lascelles

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 09:40 BST (UK) »
Welshnewspapers on line   http://newspapers.library.wales

Put "hugh roberts" (not forgetting the all important "   ") in Search and use date slider bars to restrict search to 1831. Returns 7 hits.
Click on T COUNTY NEWS or No title to view report. The newspapers differ slightly as to date of incident.

pob lŵc

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 10:01 BST (UK) »
Re. the Welsh Journals on line I had only checked two - I hadn't checked "Y Dysgedydd crefyddol", Jan 1832 issue.
Confirms date of incident as Sunday, 11 Dec 1831 - when the family were on their way to Capel y Bont. Indeed, the article is headed "Warning to breakers of the Sabbath"!!

So probably looking for a nonconformist burial and check out if Capel y Bont records available.

Much more informative than the newspaper reports eg "... age 26, the handsomest and strongest in the Rhydlydan area ...." 

Offline gwen j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 11 October 18 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hanes Teulu, have found the newspaper article regarding Hugh. It mentions his mother being do shocked she might never recover but not her name sadly. Have had no luck finding his burial or Capel y Bont. The only birth I can find for a Hugh Roberts circa 1805 is a baptism 11 Jan 1804 in Llanrwst, the son of Hugh and Dorothy. My Robert Roberts is said to have been born there too - I wonder if the farm and families are linked?
Delany-Staffs.
Lascelles