Author Topic: John William Hyde missing  (Read 2362 times)

Offline rchadz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John William Hyde missing
« on: Monday 12 January 15 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am looking for John William Hyde b. 1869 Ashton U Lyne, Lancashire, England and married to Betty Ann Farrow.  I cannot find his death registered in the UK records.

He is showing on the 1891 census with his wife and 2 children but thereafter disappeared from my searching.  On his daughter's marriage certificate 1908 he is is listed as deceased and on the 1901 and 1911 census Betty is listed as living with her parents John & Esther - status = married (not widowed).  Funnily enough a new son John pops in there in 1911 which is odd if the father was deceased prior to 1908.

Did he leave the UK?  Did he die without being registered? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, rchadz  :)
Names: angus, arnold, chadderton, colley, farrow, fletcher, hobson, hyde, lees, pyle, roberts, swindells

Areas:  Oldham, Aberdeen (Scot) & Otley Yorks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John William Hyde missing
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 January 15 20:28 GMT (UK) »
In addition to Bertha b 1889 and Deborah 1890, the 1901 also shown a son Arthur aged 3 so John W was around at his baptism

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N1HH-WVM
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rchadz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 January 15 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Agreed - so if he died it is likely between 1897 and 1908.

Cheers  :)
Names: angus, arnold, chadderton, colley, farrow, fletcher, hobson, hyde, lees, pyle, roberts, swindells

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 January 15 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Was he at the Boer War 1899-1902?

Stan

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 January 15 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am looking for John William Hyde b. 1869 Ashton U Lyne, Lancashire, England and married to Betty Ann Farrow.  I cannot find his death registered in the UK records.

He is showing on the 1891 census with his wife and 2 children but thereafter disappeared from my searching.  On his daughter's marriage certificate 1908 he is is listed as deceased and on the 1901 and 1911 census Betty is listed as living with her parents John & Esther - status = married (not widowed).  Funnily enough a new son John pops in there in 1911 which is odd if the father was deceased prior to 1908.

Did he leave the UK?  Did he die without being registered? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, rchadz  :)

The marriage certificate doesn't say deceased. It just says "wire fitter". The deceased is part of the groom's father's details I think, perhaps the John William Chadderton aged 47, death 1907.

I didn't find him in the census though.

Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rchadz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 January 15 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Okay, thank you so much, this was a great find.

You are right - it was Garibaldi's father that was deceased, not Deborah's (even though when the certificate was typed the word deceased is adjacent to John William Hyde).

Okay - so the plot thickens.  He is still alive in 1908 but not on the 1901 or 1911 census.  Just need to find where he went to?

I will keep looking then.

Thanks again,  Rchadz  :)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 January 15 22:38 GMT (UK) »
In the 1901 Census there is a J Hyde aged 34, married, born Ashton Under Lyne registered at Parkhurst Barracks Military Quarters, Carisbrook, Isle of Wight. Looks like 2nd Btn Royal Rifle Reserve Regiment  :-\
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 January 15 23:23 GMT (UK) »
If he was a serving member of the military - I would have expected his daughters 1908 marriage cert to reflect that occupation but it just shows him as a wire fitter
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 January 15 23:30 GMT (UK) »
If he was a serving member of the military - I would have expected his daughters 1908 marriage cert to reflect that occupation but it just shows him as a wire fitter

I agree, but wouldn't the Rifle Reserves have been a reserve / part-time regiment in 1901?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.