Author Topic: Saddleworth - Where and What is it?  (Read 12805 times)

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Saddleworth - Where and What is it?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 October 17 01:56 BST (UK) »
My name is Ruslan, and I am a wrestling scholar.
Looks like they had some really good wrestlers over there in Saddleworth...famous Yorkshire Hug etc,but the style those wrestlers practiced was known under the name of Lancashire Wrestling or simply catch-as-catch-can. I believe local wrestlers were under the strong influence of so-called Oldhamites, who were well known as one of the best wrestling schools in the Lancashire County.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 October 17 07:20 BST (UK) »
If you zoom in or out on the skyline you can see the Saddle (taken from Park lane Castle hill Huddersfield) Which is Westnab and Shooters hill above Meltham Huddersfield.

Behind the Saddle is Wessenden moor and Saddleworth moor.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.615892,-1.7843764,3a,18.5y,248.83h,91.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snFSPhzcchZbfI9QEv_Cilg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Ps;- Point of interest -behind the Saddle is where yet unfound body of Keith Bennett ( victim of Ian Brady moors murders) is supposed buried and where flowers are put each year by the carpark at Wessenden head by his family

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5648434,-1.88508,3a,44y,228.58h,80.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3Cgo05mHktm94gugTPMLLQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Tra La La

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 October 17 11:08 BST (UK) »
The villages of Saddleworth are in Yorkshire, despite what ignorant Estate Agents might put in their descriptions.  The local Authority (Oldham) installed district signs to clarify that the Saddleworth villages are in Yorkshire - hence the White Rose on every sign. In addition the Saddleworth White Rose Society, fundraised and build boundary signs, as did the Lancashire Society.  The best examples may be seen at Grains Bar, where all three signs may be seen by the turn of the head.
There is no doubt that 53% of the borough of Oldham is in Yorkshire, and only 47% is in Lancashire.  The Saddleworth villages of Delph, Dobcross, Denshaw, Greenfield and Uppermill are in Yorkshire and most properties are built of Yorkshire stone, whereas if you drive towards Oldham itself, you will see mainly brick properties.
Saddleworth has beautiful scenery, Oldham has takeaways and access to the Metro.
Tra La La

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 October 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
Oh Ruslan,

What have you done  ;)

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 October 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
This has sparked my interest as my DIL is from Rochdale and when she was pregnant with her first child...her Father insisted that his first born Grandson should be a Lancastrian so she had him in Oldham  ::) ;D ;D ;D Son is Yorkshire born and bred but now lives in Lincolnshire where his two Daughters were born, uncontested by his Lancastrian FIL. My Grandson always says that he was originally from Oldham but he only lived there for 10 days.
I'm proud to be a Yorkshire Lass as are my Son, now living in Sleaford Lincolnshire and Daughter now living in Colwall, Worcestershire ;D ;D

Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 22 October 17 13:08 BST (UK) »
The villages of Saddleworth are in Yorkshire, despite what ignorant Estate Agents might put in their descriptions...The Saddleworth villages of Delph, Dobcross, Denshaw, Greenfield and Uppermill are in Yorkshire and most properties are built of Yorkshire stone, whereas if you drive towards Oldham itself, you will see mainly brick properties.
Saddleworth has beautiful scenery, Oldham has takeaways and access to the Metro.
Tra La La

I very nearly fell off of my chair  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Frank (Yorkshire born)
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 22 October 17 13:59 BST (UK) »
Going to make a post...on Saddleworth based Upper Mill Rushbearing festival known as Rushcarts !!!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 22 October 17 14:20 BST (UK) »
That might be better  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 22 October 17 14:26 BST (UK) »
FOR PEOPLE WITH GOOD SENSE OF HUMOR. PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHMENT BELOW.