Author Topic: Honour Prideaux / Esdras Giddy  (Read 10554 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Honour Prideaux / Esdras Giddy
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 March 15 15:29 GMT (UK) »
from the LMA marriages online
Mr James Berdo, ironmonger of St Dunstans parish in the East married Mrs Honour Prideaux of the same parish 13 August 1699 in St Martin Ludgate.

The Mrs doesn't mean she was a married woman, it's a term of respect for someone of wealth or standing. Until the 1750s the start of the year was 25 March so 13 August 1699 was before 3 Feb 1699 which could be written (nowadays) as 3 Feb 1699/1700.

There is another marriage 28 Jan 1700 at St Dunstan in the East of James Berdoe widower & Elizabeth Bancroft single woman both of this parish so looks like Honour died soon after the marriage.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 March 15 19:53 GMT (UK) »
burial of Honour Berdoe 17 Sept 1700 at St Dunstan in the East.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline Rosegold89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 March 15 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all of the information. So does this mean she was definitely a spinster before this marriage? 50 seems quite late for the first marriage, especially a woman of the gentry and didn't women always marry in their own parish?

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 21:38 GMT (UK) »
she was unmarried when her mother made her will in 1690 and the marriage in 1699 is in her maiden name. The probate for the will refers to her Bardow als Prideaux so it is the correct marriage for Honour. The will was proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury which could indicate that the property was in more than one diocese.
There's no age given on the burial so no way of knowing how old she was. from that. Admonition would appear to be the oldest child baptised in 1639.
It may have been customary for a couple to marry in the bride's home parish, but it wasn't always the case and well off women were more mobile. Admonition married in Camborne.

Offline Rosegold89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Strange how someone mistook Esdras's wife for her, I wonder where they got the idea from? It's slightly frustrating too that now so many people have this misinformation in trees all over the internet.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 March 15 11:54 GMT (UK) »
it could be down to those infamous Ancestry tips that flag up similarities. But it shows the pitfalls of copying other trees instead of using original documents like registers and wills. Just because it's on a website doesn't mean it's correct or is anything more than guesswork. There are many posts on these boards about copied trees that have people marrying after their deaths & other such impossible feats.

This is just one of many such posts

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714702.0

:D

Offline Conan-the-Barbadian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Honor Prideaux (died 1700)
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 February 16 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Just come across this thread, to which there is little to add. Honor Prideaux does seem to have been pretty mature in August 1699 when she married James Berdoe (the usual spelling nowadays) and we can surmise that they attempted a child together, which carried her off in September 1700. His extremely prompt second marriage in January 1701 was to the 17 year old Elizabeth Bearcroft, not Bancroft, and they had ten children together. As Honor's heir, James was then involved in a lawsuit with her brother Edmund over property at Padstow.

Offline dreedhistory

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 14 November 16 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

I am a historian currently working on the correspondence of Humphrey Prideaux (1648-1724). I believe I have found a couple of entries which refer to his sister, Honour. These are my draft transcriptions.

Cornwall Record Office. PB/8/1, Letter book of Humphrey Prideaux

[letter from Maria Bury, to, Humphrey Prideaux, 16 September [n. y.] [c. 1700]

(...) I had Sooner answeard yr last kind Letter, but yt I was much out of order for some time & am not yet very well: besides I had no great plesure to tell yu yt yr sister was married: by this time I doubt not but yu have heard it from other hands if not her own, I hear shee is gon wth her iron Husband into tems street wher shee is very Busy in seting her house in order, but I have never Seen her Since shee chang’d her name, neither doe I know whether I shall be wellcome to her or no: by this time I hope my Cosen in Crosby square is so well as to be able to receive a visit wch I intend to try next week. (...)

[letter from Maria Bury, to, Humphrey Prideaux, 28 September [n. y.] [c. 1700]

'‘Twas no little surprize to me Dear Dr yt yu shou’d tell me ye newes of yr Sisters Death, & the Brut her Husband never let me know of her sickness nor give me any notice of her funerall.

Certainly my Cosen brought him to great a fortune to be huddled into her Grave so unworthyly, wthout giveing those relations wch were in this town ye liberty to wait upon her Corps, tis Signe he lov’d her mony better than he lov’d her.

As I was passing by ye dore last weeke I call’d to know when my Cosen Died, & wher shee was buried But nothing of mourning appeard ther; not so much as a hatchment hung over ye dore, wch plainely showes how Little Respect was pay’d to my poor Cosen, who I beleive paid Dearly for her folly in throwing away her fortune upon a fellow yt so little deserv’d it

But shee is gone, & tis in vain
   For us to murmur or Complain
   We’ve all liv’d long enough to try
   Life is a toyle: tis rest to Die.

I hope my Dear Cosen is at rest, & yt she hath made a good exchange, God grant we may alwayes be thinking of yt time when we shall ly down in dust, for it cannot be long before ye world & we must part: in ye mean time good Dr continue yr kindness to, yr sincerely affect kinswoman & most Faithfull Servant, M B

All yr Friends here Salute yu & yrs most affectionately'

I hope these extracts are of interest

-----

https://www.gofundme.com/danielreedhistory - every £ helps to fund my original research
https://oxfordbrookes.academia.edu/DanielHReed
https://conversingcriminally.wordpress.com/

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 November 16 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

Oh dear! Sounds like her family didn't approve & perhaps justifiably.

::)