Author Topic: Honour Prideaux / Esdras Giddy  (Read 10577 times)

Offline Conan-the-Barbadian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Honour Prideaux / Esdras Giddy
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for transcribing and sharing those letters, which bring the people to life!

While Maria Bury certainly does not hide her feelings, other interpretations could be put on the facts she reports. How old James Berdoe was compared to Honor Prideaux is unknown, but one might surmise that it must have been a relatively late first marriage for him as well. And does it sound, though we cannot know, as if she may have been a bit impetuous?

Anyhow, she made her will* on 9 September 1700, only eight days before her burial, which suggests that she knew she was in danger, and it was proved by her brother Edmund on 28 September 1700. All she had to dispose of was 600 pounds, worth at least 80,000 pounds in 2015, that had been reserved to her by a prenuptial contract, since English law at the time automatically gave everything else to her husband. This money of hers she distributed among her own family, friends and servants, leaving nothing (so far as I can ascertain) to James or any of his relations.

James Berdoe's family from his second marriage had its ups and downs. Of the ten children, only three seem to have reached maturity and married. The eldest son James set himself up as a country gentleman in Kent while his younger brother John carried on the family business and expanded it, becoming a major supplier to the Royal Navy and owning two iron works. Sophia married a clergyman who became head of King Edward's School, Birmingham.

* PROB 11: Will Registers 1697-1704: Piece 457: Noel: Quire Numbers 124-162 (1700)

Offline nesscox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 June 22 14:44 BST (UK) »
Thank goodness I’m not the only one looking for the wife of Esdras Giddy born circa 1640 in Liskeard. His wife, and mother to his children, is Honour, no maiden name, no marriage found.  I have had so many run ins with people on Ancestry and Family Search who insist on listing her as Honour Prideaux, without any proof.  Like all of you, I have searched for many years and agree that it’s highly unlikely our Honour was a Prideaux.  I have looked at their offspring in the hope one of them had a middle name that might have been a clue.  So let’s hope one day we might be able to confirm who Honour was.  Thank you Cousins

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 June 22 02:08 BST (UK) »
Esdras Giddy and Honour are my 7th great grandparents. I haven't been able to find a maiden name for Honour nor a marriage record. I am descended from their son Esdras Giddy bap 1669, died 1726 Liskeard and Constance Dionythorne /Dennythorne - their marriage in 1698 has spelling as Dunythorne. She died 1750 Liskeard. Unfortunately I don't know who Constance's parents were.  :(

Margaret
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx
VICCARS/ Lond/Northamps/Hunts

Offline nesscox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 June 22 05:52 BST (UK) »
They are my 7th great grandparents too.  According to Cornwall Family History Society a lot of records were destroyed in Liskeard from around that time, so we may never find out Honour’s maiden name. The parents of Constance are John Dennythorne b 1643, and Blanch Dout b 1645 both in Cornwall.

Offline nesscox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 June 22 15:22 BST (UK) »
Today I have spoken to the Cornwall Family History Society who tell me that many of the early parish books were either destroyed or damaged. They also advised that it is highly unlikely that Esdras married Honour Prideaux as the Prideaux family were a titled family from Prideaux Place.  I doubt we will ever know who our Honour was but I hope people will stop listing her as Honour Prideaux.

Vanessa

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 01:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you Vanessa for posting the names of Constance's parents - this is great!  8)

It's such a pity that many of the early parish books were either destroyed or damaged, however I agree that it is highly unlikely that our Honour was a Prideaux.

Which branch of the family are you descended from?

Your cousin Margaret  :D

All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline nesscox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret.  I’m descended from Esdras & Constance Dennythorne, then through their son Thomas Giddy & Elizabeth Garland, then through their son Thomas and Ann Harris, then through their daughter Elizabeth Giddy who married Thomas Abbott Jeffery.  Then right through to my Mum, who was a Jeffery.  Who are you descended from?

Best wishes
Vanessa

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Vanessa,
My line is Esdras and Constance, their son John and Phillipa Truscott, their son William and Frances Cole, their son John (baptism and marriage records has surname as Gedye - burial/headsone as Giddy) and Ann Thomas, their son William (baptism surname Gedye, marriage and death Giddey) and Jane Caddy (immigrated to Australia with their children) their son Thomas Giddey and Janet Carmichael, their son Alexander William Giddey and Annie Archibald Wilson. My mum's maiden name was Giddey. This branch of my family was/is so challenging to research with all the variations in the spelling of their surname.
All the best,
Margaret  :D

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline nesscox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 09 June 22 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret, that’s amazing, and yes it’s difficult when the surname keeps changing.  I don’t know what our relationship is - cousins numerous times removed lol.

Best wishes
Vanessa