Author Topic: Religious Denomination in Belfast  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Stephen K

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Religious Denomination in Belfast
« on: Thursday 15 January 15 09:15 GMT (UK) »
I have traced my family in the Irish census of 1901 to an address off the Shankill Road in Belfast & again in the 1911 Census to an address off the Falls Road in Belfast. In the 1901 census they refer to their religion as Church of Ireland & yet in the 1911 census they claim to be catholics. I have always thought my family to have been catholic & was quite surprised to see the reference to C of I. I know that prior to living in the Shankill area they had lived in London. As all the family are described as either C of I or Catholic in either census this does not point to a change of religion by a husband or wife to the religion of the spouse. My theory which I have nothing to support is that on coming to Belfast the only housing available was in the Shankill area. They took this accommodation but because this area of Belfast is predominantly protestant they decided to keep their catholicism secret & so claimed Church of Ireland allegiance in the 1901 census. They later moved to the Falls area which would be predominantly catholic when accommodation became available.
Looking at the 1901 census I notice that there were other catholic families in the Shankill area. Was Belfast in 1901 not as segregated in the early 20th century as unfortunately it became in later years? If that's the case then it really doesn't support my theory. Any insight into this would be appreciated.
Kennedy, Bell, Crumley, Job, Reilly, Convery, McConville & Crowley

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Religious Denomination in Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 January 15 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Have you got marriage details or baptisms?

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stephen K

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 January 15 11:08 GMT (UK) »
No I have no records. My great grandfather was born in Cambridgeshire & my great grandmother in either Jonesborough Co Armagh or Newry Co Down.  Their eldest child was born in Paisley Scotland. Others were born in Peckham with the youngest born in Belfast. I do not have my great grandmothers maiden name. She was born in 1862 & he was born in 1861. I don't know where they were married.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 January 15 11:19 GMT (UK) »
It's much more likely to have been a mixed marriage than 'adopting' a religion due to housing/area at that period.

Scottish birth certificates list date and place of parent' marriage. English birth certificate give mother's name. Mother's maiden name now on GRONI civil index so please post names and census links so that we can help you.

Found family after seeing your other posts.

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Falls/Lucknow_Street/174084
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 January 15 11:34 GMT (UK) »
James Kennedy (c1860 Wisborough, England) m.(c1883) Mary Convery (c1862 Erinsborough, Armagh)
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Court_Ward/Belgrave_Street/963664
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Falls/Lucknow_Street/174084
1.   Helen (c1884 Paisley, Scotland)
2.   James (c1886 Engand) saddler
3.   Henry (c1888 Peckham, London)
4.   William (c1891 England)
5.   Mary (c1892 London)
6.   Rose (13 Feb.1896 Belfast)
7.   Thomas (30 July 1898 Belfast)
8.   Edward (8 Dec.1900 Belfast)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 January 15 12:50 GMT (UK) »
A James Kennedy and a Mary Convery appeared on the same Volume and Page of a Naas district marriage register in 1882. You could check further to see if they married each other and could be a potential for your couple. Easiest option at moment though, as aghadowey has mentioned, would be the Scottish birth certificate obtainable via scotlandspeople website for a small fee.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Stephen K

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 January 15 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everybody especially Aghadowey. That's my family ok.  The reference to Wisborough is an error in the transcription. I subsequently discovered that James was born in Wisbeach Cambridgeshire. Marys birthplace is also incorrect as there is no such place as Erinsborough in Co. Armagh. I have subsequently discovered her birth place to be Jonesborough Co. Armagh. Until you told me I never knew Mary's maiden name. Can I ask how you discovered her maiden name & when they were married.? Do you know where they were married?
Thanks Scotmum I have no record of any of my family ever living outside the 9 counties of Ulster when they lived in Ireland so I suspect the marriage in Naas is not my family.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 January 15 14:30 GMT (UK) »
As aghadowey and myself have already suggested, why not purchase or if you already have, look at the birth certificate of their Scottish born child as (unlike on English or Irish certificates), it should helpfully state on same, the date and location of marriage, then come back and post these details for folks to help you further. Certainly, I wouldn't rule out any potential marriage finds until I had checked the birth record.

Mary's maiden name would have been on the birth details of the Belfast born children. This is also where aghadowey would have found their full birth dates too. You can purchase details, at a cost, from:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 January 15 22:29 GMT (UK) »
It seems that the Scottish Certificate has indeed answered questions:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=710816.0