Author Topic: Ladies in Work Uniform  (Read 1326 times)

Offline zapcon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ladies in Work Uniform
« on: Friday 16 January 15 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Sarah,

Can you please provide any information with respect to the attached photo (ie when, where you think it may have been taken). My Great Aunt Robina Neil b.1892 Angarsk, Perthshire d. 1977 Edinburgh is on the last right Facing.
All the ladies appear to be wearing some sort of "uniform"??!!  In the 1911 Scotland Census she was working in a Hawick Hosiery/ Millinery Mill.
Any suggestions thoughts appreciated.

As part of my genealogy project I am trying to establish a name and recognition for my Great Aunts Fiancé who was KIA or died of wounds during WW! I have 3 photos of him in Uniform of the Royal Horse (Field) Artillery and am enquiring whether you could put approximate dates to the photos.

Many Thanks for your Generous help
David Queensland Australia

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ladies in Work Uniform
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 January 15 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Jut so you can see it, hope that is OK

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 January 15 08:34 GMT (UK) »
I think these ladies are possibly ww1 nurses, they appear to be posing in an "angelic" stance, I don't think mill girls would be working with pearls on.
I wonder if they were working at Craiglockhart War Hospital in Edinburgh,
Just a thought, one lady has a throat adornment similar to that worn by Queen Mary during ww1.

James
the pic of the artilleryman is absent.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 January 15 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Not nurses as the uniforms are wrong, also as nursing was run on military lines adornments weren't allowed.
Civilian workers possibly laundry who wore a sort of uniform also some factories such as munitions also handed out uniforms/coveralls.
As for a date I would suggest a start of around 1912 but as styles didn't change much during the war could be into the war years.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline zapcon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 January 15 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Sarah, and others, Many thanks for your assistance and ideas. Certainly worth following up.

The soldiers photos are under separate cover. "Assistance in Identification"

All the best and Thanks form Australia
David

Offline zapcon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Assitance in Identification
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 January 15 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Trying to identify (name) my Great Aunt's Fiancé and ensure he and his comrades in arms receive proper recognition.
Unfortunately we have no name or service number but from the photographs (P1 - P3) and attached we believe he served in the Royal Field Artillery and was initially based  and trained out of the Piershill Barracks Edinburgh.
Identification of his other comrades in arms may just help to provide a names for my GA Fiancé.
Photo1; Great Aunt's Fiancé. (GAF) Photo taken at Piershill Studio Edinburgh. Photo reorder number 46886
Photo 2; GAF. Sitting, left facing. Photo taken at Morrisons Studios 137 Leith Street Edinburgh. Photo  reorder number 56856
Photo 3; GAF. Standing Right Facing
To date have had no success in establishing when the photos' were taken and with respect to P3 where  as well? perhaps overseas.
The 3 soldiers in P3 look "worn out", perhaps not the right expression, perhaps exhausted is more appropriate!
Have put the photos in the order that I feel that they were taken based on the facial looks of my GA Fiancé.
Any help suggestions ideas which may help to solve this exceedingly difficult conundrum gratefully appreciated.
Sincere Thanks and Regards David Abrahams Qld Australia.

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 January 15 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Photo GAF2 I think his friend is Royal Engineers,  the other pics show all the same regimental cap badge, the one soldier sitting on GAF3  has a wound stripe on his left cuff beneath the inverted chevron.

James