Author Topic: Where was my grandfather and what was he doing? Scottish Rifles  (Read 2860 times)

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
Where was my grandfather and what was he doing? Scottish Rifles
« on: Saturday 17 January 15 17:23 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if my question can be answered but here goes.

My grandfather ( a miner) joined up in 5th July 1915 with his local regiment the Scottish Rifles at Hamilton Barracks (3/6th Scottish Rifles). I believe they supplied drafts to the 1/6th Battalion.

His records don't show any other movement until he was sent home in 11th August 1916 to work in the mines for the duration of the war.

He was "Recalled to The Colours" on 14th April 1918 to the 4th Battalion. I belive they never went overseas. On 30th April 1918 he was posted to the 5th Reserve Scottish Rifles.

He was given embarkation leave from 5th to the 10th October 1918 and then proceeded to point of embarkation listed as Bridge of Allan,Forth Garrison on 23rd October 1918 with "C" company 5/6th Scottish Rifles.
Next entry is furlough 28 days from 12th December 1918.
Demobbed January 1919.

My questions are when was he in France?
There is nothing showing his arrival there at any time yet his medal card shows he was awarded medals for overseas service, and theatre of war on his discharge shows "France".
Trade: Lewis Gunner.
There is a family story that for his first period of service no one heard any thing from him. Surely if he was still in UK he would have been given some home leave?
I was too young to ask if any one ever asked him where he was.

A long story about something which has always bothered me. If any one has any ideas they will be most welcome.

The End

Andrew

Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Where was my grandfather and what was he doing? Scottish Rifles
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 January 15 18:13 GMT (UK) »
According to British Regiments 1914-1918 by Brig. EA James OBE TD.

Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

3/6 formed Hamilton April 1915. To Ripon 8April1916, became 6 (Reserve) Batt. To Catterick 1September1916. Absorbed by 5 (Reserve) Batt.

4 (Extra Reserve) Batt. 1917 coastal defence East Lothian, Haddington.

Evidently your man was transferred to an active service battalion. None of the above saw service in France.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 January 15 18:17 GMT (UK) »
thanks for that Regorian. The trouble is there were so many amalgamations and no note of transfers.

Andrew
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline derekjwatson25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 17:06 BST (UK) »
My grandfather joined Scottish Rifles. His number ID was 63894 and I think he seen active service in Egypt / Mesapotamia ?
and was transferred to Highland Light Infantry. I remember him suffering from shell shock and was discharged in 1920 after being in the 11th Reserve Battalion from 1919.
I tried the HLI library and regiemental archives but no joy.

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 May 16 13:34 BST (UK) »
I would suggest that he went back into the Army in 1917 as you say and initially went to the depot in UK to the 4th Bn.  From there he was kitted out and sent to the 5/6th as an individual reinforcement.  After 2 weeks leave he is sent to France to arrive just in time to qualify for his medals before the war ends and he is sent home.  He could have gone to France in 1915/16 and the medal card shoudl give you a date of qualification that will indicate it.

How many medals did he have because if he did get to France before Dec 1915 he would have 3.  if he arrived in France after that then only 2.