Author Topic: New Records. UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929.  (Read 4501 times)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
New Records. UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929.
« on: Saturday 17 January 15 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry have released a new record collection, UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929. 

"This database contains records detailing the money owed to soldiers of the British Army who died in service from 1901 to 1929. A small percentage of soldiers who were discharged as ‘insane’ are also listed here. Records typically include the name of the soldier, his next of kin and their relationship, the date of death and sometimes the place, plus other details. In cases where the soldier was discharged as insane, the place and date of discharge are often recorded in the place and date of death field. The inclusion of the next of kin makes these records particularly valuable to family historians, as this information can help researchers take a family back another generation or distinguish between soldiers with the same name. Early records also list a soldier’s trade before enlistment.
Payments went first to widows, or, if the soldier wasn’t married, to a parent (often a mother) or siblings."

I have found 2 of mine listed already, although I had to search by regimental number for one of them as his name was incorrectly transcribed (I have submitted a correction).

Hope this will be helpful to Rootschatters.

Jool
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: New Records. UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 January 15 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for posting twice, nothing happened when I hit post so I hit it again  ;D. Could a mod please delete one. 

Thanks
Jool
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 January 15 19:34 GMT (UK) »

I found some of mine there........one was apparently in an unknown unit.....Eren Guards......badly mistranscribed Gren (Grenadier) Guards.....    ::)         
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 January 15 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Also gives you a list of men that committed suicide while serving ,think it was around 42 of them.