Author Topic: Donnan family - Ballywalter / Balligan  (Read 6669 times)

Offline PJR51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donnan family - Ballywalter / Balligan
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, DPSmith. I have that info as  my daughter in law is a descendant of Mary the 3rd child. They have her mother down as Jane Sneddon Blackwood .Mary and family arrived I NSW I 1857  I have seen another line of the family , descendants of Francis the 4 child on GENI by a James Barrow BEM. I note you state that Jane’s maiden name is Mcmaster. Looking forward to your reply. Penny Rees

Offline DPSmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Penny. Thanks for the reply! I’m a descendant of Francis Donnan.  Mary and Francis had a younger brother Samuel born in 1840. He was the only child to be born in England so I ordered his birth certificate. His mother is listed as Jane Donnan formerly McMaster. I haven’t found any Northern Ireland birth records for the other children so can’t be sure if Jane McMaster was also their mother. I have noticed that several people have Jane’s surname as Sneddon Blackwood though. Do you know where this name has come from? Is it on any certificates that you know of? Kind regards, Dan

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 19:17 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births only started in Ireland in 1864.

So, before that date, church records (if they are in existence) will need to be found, and you will need an idea of location (parish if not actual townland) and religion.

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline PJR51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi no I don’t know where it came from but I can try to find out. Have you viewed the work done by the James on Geni. He has all the family tree of Francis I think down to himself. I think the problem is that a lot of records have been lost or destroyed which is unfortunate. My interest is that i’m Stitching a sampler going back through all the women beginning with my new grand daughter that was born back in April. I’ve done some for all my 3 boys and both my other grand daughter. It’s a lovely thing to put on the wall instead of all the pages in a file.

Offline PJR51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Dan , what was the address they lived at when Samuel was born. I have seen the 1861 census with Jane as head of the family so the men could well be at work. RegardsPenny

Offline DPSmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi KG, thanks for the info. I’m fairly sure the Donnan family was from Ballywalter or Balligan in County Down. I’m hoping to visit sometime soon so can hopefully check for church records in person. Fingers crossed they still exist.

Congratulations Penny on your new granddaughter. That’s a great idea for the family! And something really nice to keep for the future. I haven’t seen James’ work yet but I will definitely have a look this weekend. If I do manage to visit County Down and find any more information I will post it here for everyone to see!

Samuel was born 18 August 1840 and they were living at Bill Quay, Heworth, Gateshead. Father is listed as William Donnan occupation Bottle Worker

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 19:50 BST (UK) »

......from Ballywalter or Balligan in County Down.

Balliggan is in the Civil Parish of Inishargy, and very close to the town of Ballywalter.
https://www.townlands.ie/down/upper-ards/inishargy/balliggan/

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo