Author Topic: Lancashire as a surname  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Clive Lancashire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lancashire as a surname
« on: Tuesday 20 January 15 14:06 GMT (UK) »
For thirty years I have been stuck on one Frederick John Lancashire, born c1815 in the Strand (Westminster), England. He married Caroline Anne Denham in 1836 at Christ Church, Spitalfields, East London and died 1868 in Bow, Poplar, East London
I just cannot understand why I have been unable to find any further information on him or his parents when I have gone back to 1539 on the family of Caroline ( Huguenots in the early years).
Someone on ANCESTRY has his father as a Lankshear but, I know this to be false.
Really hoping to pin this guy down before I run out of time myself.
Regards to all Clive

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lancashire as a surname
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 16:21 GMT (UK) »
One of the witnesses at the marriage was William Lancashire -wonder if he was a brother?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Clive Lancashire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suz, thanks for the reply.

I am pretty sure it is a brother but, have no real proof. They both share the same occupation as Coach Trimmers as do many of my forefathers but that's as close a connection that I can make.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 13:17 GMT (UK) »
In 1841 census, on Borough Road in Southwark London there were two separate households of coach trimmers, if that's any help? There was John Lancashire, 54, with wife Mary, neither of whom were born in the county, and a few doors away, William, 30, with his wife Emma, but he was born in the county.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Silly me. Frederick's also in the same area in the same census - as "Frdk", but with wife Caroline, b 1816 - again, he's not born in county, and some offspring, but he's described there as a painter rather than a coach-trimmer. Perhaps he did the painting, and the others did the trimming. I'd hunt John Lancashire further back, if I were you, and see if that helps. Good luck.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Maybe worth noting:

Poll Book Register shows William Lancashire, Publican -residence Devereaux Court. On the same page there are 'Strand' addresses so it seems to be the right area.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 14:18 GMT (UK) »

There was John Lancashire, 54, with wife Mary

John and Mary's daughter Sarah married Daniel SMITH in 1843, and in 1851 and 1861 she gives her place of birth as Fitzroy Market, Middlesex (after that she says she doesn't know).

I can't find Matilda at all - no death or marriage   ???

Class: HO107; Piece: 1564; Folio: 437; Page: 28

Class: RG 9; Piece: 312; Folio: 147; Page: 28

Debra  :)

Offline Clive Lancashire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies. I am pretty sure John and Mary are the parents of Frederick but, have no positive proof. All were Coach Trimmers and, although Frederick is a painter in the 1841 Census, he is a Coach Painter in the 1861 Census as were his sons Charles, Henry and Walter. Greetings from SW France.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 January 15 16:29 GMT (UK) »
There was also a Charles LANCASHIRE born c1822, Coach Trimmer, father John LANCASHIRE, Coach Trimmer, who married in 1843 to Elizabeth LEWIS at St Nicholas, Deptford.  He claims to have been born in London (1871) and Marylebone (1861).

So we have possible siblings:

c1811  William born Christ Church, Surrey
c1815  Frederick John born Strand, Middlesex and Westminster
c1822  Charles born Marylebone
c1823  Sarah born Fitzroy Market
c1826  Matilda (not born in Surrey)

They were all married in C of E churches.

"Fitzroy Market stood, according to the Survey Of London, on a site between Grafton Way and Warren Street"

Debra  :)