Author Topic: Sweden - Ryden family  (Read 8395 times)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sweden - Ryden family
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 January 15 09:38 GMT (UK) »
The name “Ryd” according to Wikipedia comes from the word “röjd mark” meaning making a clearing in the forest.

The best way to pronounce it is:

R
Y …… ewe (as in female sheep)
D
én ….. Ian (my name)

R ewe d ian

I can imagine them discussing a new name to take with them. I suppose Anderson was too common so creating a new name was the best way to go. Their father 40 years previous had the name Ryd which wasn’t continued as the surname. There are a number of Rydéns in Sweden although not that common, so that, I think is why they made the name Rydén. The name Ryd was probably a little too short. I wonder if the father Anders was involved.

Ian

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 January 15 14:55 GMT (UK) »
I too had done a little digging and found a reference that indicated "Ryd" meant "clearing".  I noticed that the towns connected with Anders both end in ryd......Slatteryd and Bararyd.  (Apologies if I have misspelled something there!)  I wondered if that would be similar to the ending "field" as would be seen used in naming US cities and towns.......Springfield for example.  Ryd being a cleared place and field being a cleared place.

Your sounding out of Ryden is very helpful.  I tend to say it more like:
R
eye - what you see with
D
in - opposite of out

but i imagine that is the Americanized version!  The tree I'm working on has veered away from the RYDEN surname because it came in on a female line.  No way to be certain how it was pronounced here 100 years ago!

Best wishes
Jean

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 January 15 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Salomon Ryden’s Family
Anders Jönsson
b. 16 Jan 1802 in Båraryd
d. 5 Sep 1883 in Båraryd

married – 24 Oct 1836 in Båraryd

Sara Stina Andersdotter
b. 11 Nov 1818 in Båraryd
d. 24 Jul 1893 in Båraryd

Children
Eva Christina
b. 30 Nov 1836 in Båraryd
married – Oscar Reidel – 20 Dec 1864
d. 8 Apr 1897 in Örby

Josepha
b. 29 Nov 1838 in Båraryd

Frans Johan
b. 8 Jan 1841 in Båraryd
d. 3 Feb 1844 in Båraryd

Joseph
b. 19 Mar 1843 in Båraryd
d. 24 Mar 1843 in Båraryd

Anna Johanna
b. 7 Aug 1844 in Båraryd
d. 27 Sep 1902 in Båraryd

Johan August
b. 18 Mar 1847 in Båraryd

Salomon
b. 16 Jan 1850 in Båraryd

Helena
b. 21 Sep 1852 in Båraryd
d. 11 Sept 1857 in Båraryd

Emma
b. 13 Jul 1856 in Båraryd

Linus
b. 27 Apr 1859 in Båraryd

Ian

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 23 January 15 16:52 GMT (UK) »
This is fantastic info!  So sad to see the child mortality though.

By the way, you were right on with the emigration record of Johanna Ryden with that of Linus.  In the US census his wife is Hannah C. with a possible maiden name of Anderson or I suppose that might have been Andersdotter.  They apparently wed in Sweden and not the US.

I'm still struggling with wife of Solomon,Mary C BRINK.  I wonder if she had a name change to Brink that is throwing me off.  I have seen her place of birth recorded as Smaland but that doesn't narrow things up very much!

Also struggling with August STROMQUIST.  As a real long shot I wonder if he might have been a cousin to Solomon as opposed to brother in law.  There is a Nils August Stromquist in Kansas born abt 1845 who is apparently dead around 1886.  It looks like that family did a name change too at some point.  I believe Nils father was born a Jonsson.  I wondered if by any stretch he could have been a brother to my Anders Jonsson.  As you can see these are extreme straw graspings ???

I will continue to bang away here!

Best wishes
Jean

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 23 January 15 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Here is Linus and Johanna C Ryden (Ryder) passenger list from Hull to NY on the SS Spain:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-16946-28227-6?cc=1849782

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 23 January 15 18:29 GMT (UK) »

By the way, you were right on with the emigration record of Johanna Ryden with that of Linus.  In the US census his wife is Hannah C. with a possible maiden name of Anderson or I suppose that might have been Andersdotter.  They apparently wed in Sweden and not the US.

Where did you get the name Andersdotter from? I am trying to find that. I have checked the marriages in the same parish as Linus but no marriage. No Johanna C left with Linus or even around that date.
I wonder if they got married just before they boarded the ship in Gothenburg. Worth checking perhaps.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 23 January 15 18:31 GMT (UK) »

Also struggling with August STROMQUIST.  As a real long shot I wonder if he might have been a cousin to Solomon as opposed to brother in law.  There is a Nils August Stromquist in Kansas born abt 1845 who is apparently dead around 1886.  It looks like that family did a name change too at some point.  I believe Nils father was born a Jonsson.  I wondered if by any stretch he could have been a brother to my Anders Jonsson.  As you can see these are extreme straw graspings ???

I am thinking along the lines that August is Mary C's brother. She remarried with name Brink but her maiden name is Strömqvist.

Ian

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 24 January 15 04:26 GMT (UK) »
I've also considered August Stromquist might be married to a sister of Mary C Ryden mn Brink.......but without finding him again on another census I have no way of connecting him to anyone.

Best wishes
Jean

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 24 January 15 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I managed to find Maria Christina Andreasdotter Brink and her family.

They came from Bosebo parish in Småland and August Ludwig Andreasson Strömqvist was her brother. He left his wife and child behind in Sweden in 1880 for some reason. Maybe to look for a place to live. I will check later on if he returned to Sweden or not.

Parents
Andreas Larsson Brink b. 6 Apr 1814 in Bosebo
Anna Lena Andersdotter b. 9 Jan 1816 in Sjötofta

Children
Elias Ansqarius b. 28 Apr 1842 in Bosebo
Anders Joseph b. 17 Jul 1844 in Bosebo
Maria Christina b. 24 Aug 1846 in Bosebo
August Ludvig b. 1 Mar 1848 in Bosebo
Benedikta Eleonora b. 22 Dec 1851 in Bosebo
Johanna Adelina b. 17 Jul 1854 in Bosebo
Inga Lovisa b. 3 Nov 1857 in Bosebo
Johan Enoch b. 19 Jul 1860 in Bosebo