Author Topic: death in alicante  (Read 6098 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: death in alicante
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 May 15 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin - that's exactly what my friend thought - that the statement could be taken two ways - he also said colloquial Spanish could be a bit tricky for non-native speakers. I also asked my friend whether he had made it clear that this was a close relative but he said there was nowhere on the online form that asked for this. My friend's mother-in-law was Spanish and died in Spain - he's going to see if her death certificate gave a cause of death. I'd certainly be interested in your husband's opinion.

I'll never ever again complain about the GRO system of death registration! Am still grateful for everyone's help here, although I'm beginning to lose hope that I'll ever get to the end of this mystery!

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 May 15 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley,

Well, I just read it to my husband. He said it meant that it wasnt their obligation to inform of the cause of death.  Hmmm... Like its not their job to tell you.

I can always give it a try if you want.   Keep the volume and page numbers of the death, as that infomation is always required and doesnt change.

There has to be a cause of death somewhere! In Spain if you die at home for example it is seen as suspicious. You have to get a Doctor there to the house asap to sign a certificate otherwise an autopsy has to be done.

Dont give up.

Keane (Westmeath)
Ledwith (Longford/Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)
La Favor/Lefebvre (Quebec)
Mineard/Maynard/Mainard/ Maynord (Wiltshire/Monmouthshire)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 May 15 15:56 BST (UK) »
My friend has just received a copy of his mother-in-law's death - she died at home though a doctor did come out to the house. There is no cause of death given in her case either. Very odd - though the Spanish family seem to accept it as normal. So thanks again for all your help - another brick wall it seems!
Lesley