Author Topic: Looking for GRAVILL relatives  (Read 2068 times)

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for GRAVILL relatives
« on: Thursday 22 January 15 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I thought I would ask here if anyone has any connection to the Dundee GRAVILLs? I have quite a bit of information about them including some old photos.  Pretty safe to say that Scottish Gravill's are related to me (all thr GRAVILLS mentioned on the Valuation Rolls for Scotland are mine). They starr with Captain John GRAVILL who moved to Dundee with wife and kids and then some more were born im Dundee like my great grandfather Charles Duncan GRAVILL who then moved to NZ. I have found a few bits and pieces of his siblings but would love to dind out what happened to them.

kind regards
Melanie
Phillips: Gloucestershire, Kent, Isle of Wight, Co Durham
Marsh (me): Dorset, Middlesex
Marsh (husband): Lancashire
Stephens: Devon, Cornwall
Gravill: Lincolnshire, East Riding (Hull), Dundee, NZ
Leighton: Forfarshire (mainly Dundee), Crete, NZ
Ferrier: Dundee

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for GRAVILL relatives
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 January 15 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Try including some dates, Melanie, even if only approximate. It makes a vast difference to finding the answers.

Also, I assume that you have looked at Gravel(l)s as well? Remember that spelling of names did not become fixed until the early 20th century.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 January 15 09:56 GMT (UK) »
British Newspapers Archive, which can be accessed via credits/sub on their own site or via a Find My Past subscription, carry lots of old Dundee newspapers (up to the early 1950s).

There are a number of Shipping Reports in same that mention Captain Gravill (also carried by some newspapers elsewhere in UK), as well as BMD notices and other stories that include the Gravill surname in the Dundee and surrounding areas.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 January 15 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sorry about missing the dates. I was posting from my phone (and sleep deprived) so didn't quite have access to the correct dates. The GRAVILL's I am concerned with are spelt this way. There are other spellings in my family but they branch out a couple of generations back and they are based in Yorkshire/ Lincolnshire.

I have searched the British Newspaper Archives for the Dundee area and have found quite a few birth announcements which has been interesting, it just got me thinking that there might be some Gravill's still in the area or that are descended from this family. (I might even check the phone book :))

So here are the further details:

Captain John GRAVILL b. 21 AUG 1831, Hull. d. 13 NOV 1882, Dundee (through injuries sustained from falling out of a crows nest)
married Annie DUNCAN b. 8 OCT 1837, Hull

Their children were:
Emily GRAVILL b. 1860, Hull, d. 1935, Dundee
Ada GRAVILL b. 1 JAN 1864, Dundee
Frederick Ernest GRAVILL b. 1865, Hull (m. Margaret Scott MURRAY)
Mary Frances GRAVILL b. 1867, Hull (m. Donald McINTOSH)
Charles GRAVILL b. 2 Nov 1871, Dundee, d. 15 May 1875, Dundee
Henry GRAVILL b. 18 NOV 1873, Dundee (was Chief Engineer on the Scotia to the Antartica) (m. Susan Keay BROWN)
Walter GRAVILL b. 21 OCT 1879, Dundee, d. 1945, Staten Island, NY
Charles Duncan GRAVILL b. 16 AUG 1882, Dundee, d. 14 APR 1948, Auckland NZ (m. Elizabeth Margaret LEIGHTON)

Kind Regards
Melanie

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 January 15 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Have you already used scotlandspeople to follow the various mentioned Gravills above, through to 1911 census and in marriage/death records too?

Have you considered a 'genealogy' type message in a current edition of the local Dundee newspapers asking for any potential relatives to get in touch?

Phone book can be checked via www.192.com

Do bear in mind, however, that details of living persons/potentially living persons cannot be shared on rootschat forums.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 January 15 11:22 GMT (UK) »
I need to revisit Scotlands People. I have had a bit of a break from researching and have started again. Previously I had focused on going up my tree and I quite fancy going across. I have made many contacts through the Gravills/Gravilles, but they are all from further up. Just thought I would do a shout out.
As out of interest I checked Gravill on 192.com and there are none in Dundee. Asked if I wanted decorative gravel :)
Ada had a son called Keith and I have quite a few photos of him. I found a couple of announcements about births of daughters, but I think he might have moved down to Exmouth. I'm now in Melbourne, so we are pretty spread out.