Author Topic: British Library: Asian and African Studies -previously Oriental and India Office  (Read 1656 times)

Offline crab2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Is there anyone here who goes to this library? Much appreciated if anyone can help, Thanks

British Library: Asian and African Studies (previously Oriental and India Office Library).

I'd like a copy of this
Title: TORRIANO, Hilary Harcourt -1815
Reference: IOR/L/AG/23/10/1 no.595
Description:
Madras Army, d 7 Feb 1815
Held by: British Library: Asian and African Studies (previously Oriental and India Office Library), not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Context of this record
59 - British Library: Asian and African Studies (previously Oriental and India Office Library)
IOR - India Office Records
IOR/L/AG - Accountant General's Records
IOR/L/AG/23 - East India Company and India Office: records of the administration of service and family pension funds
IOR/L/AG/23/10 - Madras Military Fund
IOR/L/AG/23/10/1 - Roll of subscribers to Madras Military Fund
IOR/L/AG/23/10/1 no.595 - TORRIANO, Hilary Harcourt -1815

Thanks if some kind person could get a copy of this :)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: British Library: Asian and African Studies -previously Oriental and India Office
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 January 15 00:44 GMT (UK) »
do you know what it is and what information it will show?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline crab2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: British Library: Asian and African Studies -previously Oriental and India Office
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 January 15 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi crab2

I do go to the British Library for work purposes but in advance of a visit I asked the APAC dept about this.

I received this reply this morning

"The reference which you cite relates to an entry in the Madras Army pension list: in this case it states simply that Hilary Harcourt Torriano died on 7 February 1815. It can be inferred from this that he died unmarried and childless, as there is no mention of his widow or dependants.

We will almost certainly hold his burial certificate, and his (very distinctive) name brings up a number of hits in our online archival catalogue http://searcharchives.bl.uk

Should you visit the Library, therefore, I am confident you will find other sources of biographical information to add to the above."
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 January 15 10:27 GMT (UK) »
The record is viewable on FindMyPast, its a single page document with a number of other entries.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline crab2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi crab2

I do go to the British Library for work purposes but in advance of a visit I asked the APAC dept about this.

I received this reply this morning

"The reference which you cite relates to an entry in the Madras Army pension list: in this case it states simply that Hilary Harcourt Torriano died on 7 February 1815. It can be inferred from this that he died unmarried and childless, as there is no mention of his widow or dependants.

We will almost certainly hold his burial certificate, and his (very distinctive) name brings up a number of hits in our online archival catalogue http://searcharchives.bl.uk

Should you visit the Library, therefore, I am confident you will find other sources of biographical information to add to the above."

Thanks for this, I can tell you he definitely was married with children, I've been researching this and have proof of the children. Thanks again. :)

Offline crab2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 02:31 GMT (UK) »
The record is viewable on FindMyPast, its a single page document with a number of other entries.

Thanks, I think I know the one your talking about and I have it. :)