Author Topic: CAMERON family born in Dailly  (Read 3364 times)

Offline shearg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
CAMERON family born in Dailly
« on: Sunday 25 January 15 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My friend is going to Scotland in March and would like to look up some places where his ancestors lived, are buried or what would be really great would be to find some living CAMERON relatives.

His gr-grandfather DONALD CAMERON was born in 1845 in South Leith and married LILY BELL who was born in 1849 in Glasgow.

Together with their family I found them on the 1881 census living at Wallaceton Cottage in Dailly. Donald(Mis-spelled Ronald) was  a Teacher
Their Children:
Sarah Bell age 2 born in Glasgow
Roderick age 2  born in Dailly
Catherine McBean 6 months Born in Dailly

1891 census
The family lived at 61 Kelvnside Ave. in Barony, Lanarkshire
Sarah 13
Roddie 12
Kate 10
Donald 8
Neil 6
William 4
Robert 3

From a family write-up, son Donald, Neil & William & Daughter Catherine came to Canada to live. Donald came in Aug 1904 but I never found his Immigration record. On the 1881 census with Catherine's middle name McBean I believe I found Donald's(Born 1845) parents, Rodrick & Cathren McBain living with sons William age 8 & Donald age 6 both born in Leith and living in Calder Brachlie in Nairnshire.

This is all the info I could find so if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't find the family on the 1901 census or later or Donald & Lily before the 1881 census. I never found any immigration records or burial records so if someone could help me or point me in the right direction to look.

Thanks,
shearg
Lincolnshire: Shearwood, Dudding, Westoby, Brocklesby, Mann, Sanderson, Smith, Marris,Borrill, Bristow, Brown, Clark, Dunwell, Leverton, Sergeant, Naylor, Schofield,

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: CAMERON family born in Dailly
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 January 15 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shearg

Has anyone yet looked up the marriage of Donald and Lilly to firm up ancestry? www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shearg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 January 15 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Monica,
No I wasn't sure where to look up Scotland Marriages. Is this site free?

shearg
Lincolnshire: Shearwood, Dudding, Westoby, Brocklesby, Mann, Sanderson, Smith, Marris,Borrill, Bristow, Brown, Clark, Dunwell, Leverton, Sergeant, Naylor, Schofield,

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 January 15 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Sadly not...it is pay to view, but costs are very reasonable. It lets you view the actual image online for BMDs. For what you are trying to do here, the £7GB which gives you 30 units (6 units to search and view and image) will be well spent.

Scottish marriage certs are great. Will include lots of details including full details on bride and groom's parents, see www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&403

Monica

Offline shearg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 January 15 20:54 GMT (UK) »
I will see what my friend wants to do.
 If we think the marriage took place in Glasgow could he look through the Parish records himself or does the Parish Church keep these records on hand? Scotland doesn't have the FreeBMD records online then that England has?

Also with his grandfather being born I Dailly which I'm hoping is a smaller parish would those records still be kept there?

shearg

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 January 15 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Post 1855 and the start of official registration in Scotland, your source of information will be the statutory registers for BMDs. The main source for these for Scotland will be Scotlands People.

You can register for free on SP and do some general searches to see what shows. Have to admit, struggling to see a marriage so far for a Donald Cameron and Lilly Bell  :-\ You can use the wildcard of '*' to pick up on spelling variations. A useful feature for sure in those times.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 January 15 21:09 GMT (UK) »

...I believe I found Donald's(Born 1845) parents, Rodrick & Cathren McBain living with sons William age 8 & Donald age 6 both born in Leith and living in Calder Brachlie in Nairnshire.

Naming pattern can be important and useful in Scottish research. With what you mention so far, this looks like a likey entry for Donald:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTTQ-4MN

Only he and brother William show on Family Search (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTTS-LBY).

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 January 15 21:18 GMT (UK) »
This looks like a mis transcribed 1901 - leaving as is:

Donald Caneron 56 Scholar Board Officer b. Leith
Lily Caneron 52 b. Glasgow
Sarah B Caneron 23 Elen Teacher
Roderick Caneron 22 Shepping Clerk
Donald A Caneron 18 Clerk Grain Trad
Neil P Caneron 16 Clerk Coal
William A Caneron 14 Clerk Shipfing App
Robert M Caneron 13 scholar

Address: 50 Kelbourne St, Maryhill, Glasgow

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 January 15 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Regarding shipping and travel to Canada for Donald Cameron Jnr in Aug 1904, there is this possible entry:

Donald Cameron, 20, surveyor who arrived on 15 Aug 1904 on the 'Corinthian'. Leaving from Glasgow and arriving in Montreal, heading to Winnipeg.  My only concern was the name above his, also Cameron. Should read Roderick, but not sure  :-\