Author Topic: CAMERON family born in Dailly  (Read 3363 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: CAMERON family born in Dailly
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 January 15 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Have tried again to search for the marriage on SP...I don't think it shows  :-\ What a pain...

Scottish birth certs from the early 1860s showed place and date of parents' marriage on children's birth certs. Subject to what child your friend is descended from, you may want to view the actual birth cert image on SP to see what this say regarding parents' marriage...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 January 15 22:10 GMT (UK) »

Regarding shipping and travel to Canada for Donald Cameron Jnr in Aug 1904, there is this possible entry:

Donald Cameron, 20, surveyor who arrived on 15 Aug 1904 on the 'Corinthian'. Leaving from Glasgow and arriving in Montreal, heading to Winnipeg.  My only concern was the name above his, also Cameron. Should read Roderick, but not sure  :-\

Hi Monica - I think the name above Donald is John Cameron  :-\

Looby

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 January 15 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

How sure are you Shearg that Lily's maiden name was Bell? :) :) :)

There is a marriage at Blackfriars, Glasgow in 1876 between a Donald Cameron and a Lilly Munro.

This was the only marriage I could find between a Donald Cameron and Lily/Lilly during the period 1870 -1880.

Looby  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 January 15 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Looby, that would make sense that Lily's maiden name may have been recorded incorrectly perhaps on family material.

I too saw the name 'John' on the shipping manifest in 1904 mentioned above, whilst expecting perhaps to see Roderick.

shearg, who of the children of Donald and Lily is your friend descended from?

Monica

Offline shearg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 February 15 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry, I never got an notification to say anyone had answered my Request so  I haven't been checking back to this site.

I have found out that Donald married Lily Bell Munro so the marriage you found was the correct one.
My friend's mother was the daughter of Donald & Lily and we have all the info from that line as the children were all born here in Saskatchewan.

I found the Immigration record too and believed the name above of Donald's was John. As far as I know there were no siblings named John but he did have brothers by the name of William, Neil, Roderick & Robert. My friend thought Donald had come to Canada with his brother William born in 1887, any chance his name was John William?

Thanks for all the help you have given us. I will check out SP & see what I can find.

shearg
Lincolnshire: Shearwood, Dudding, Westoby, Brocklesby, Mann, Sanderson, Smith, Marris,Borrill, Bristow, Brown, Clark, Dunwell, Leverton, Sergeant, Naylor, Schofield,

Offline shearg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 February 15 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Sorry my friend's mother was the granddaughter of Donald & Lily and not their daughter. Her father was their son Donald who came over to Canada in 1904 and married Lena Hainer.
Lincolnshire: Shearwood, Dudding, Westoby, Brocklesby, Mann, Sanderson, Smith, Marris,Borrill, Bristow, Brown, Clark, Dunwell, Leverton, Sergeant, Naylor, Schofield,

Offline Jacquie Evans

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 May 20 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there. Sorry I'm a few years later joining the conversation! I've only found this after searching for something else on google.

I actually live in the afore mentioned Wallaceton Cottage near Dailly, and confirm that Donald Cameron and his wife Lily (previously Bell) lived in the cottage with their children Sarah, Roderick and Catherine. They lived in the cottage in 1881 and the Bryden family owned and lived in the shop attached to the cottage. It must have been a tight squeeze for them all as the cottage and shop isn't very big. Hope this helps.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 June 20 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacquie

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Monica