Author Topic: Ancestry DNA  (Read 1294 times)

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA
« on: Wednesday 28 January 15 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Have just received an email offering me this for £99.

I wonder if someone could tell me if this test would be suitable for me ?  I am willing to buy more than one for relatives to be tested.

I am looking for origins rather than relatives; have managed to get a decent family tree on most branches using paper (and computer) research. Ideally I would like to find out my son's origins from all of his four grand parents lines. On paper apart from my husband's mother line the rest of the families meet the 20 mile rule ! But I am much more interested at the moment about the origins of the families if I can get that information.

I am an a female only child,  with one son.  My husband's mother's line is originally from Suffolk - she is still alive but there are no male relatives left.  My husband is tall, blue eyed and is fair with a hint of red in his hair.  I am wondering about a possible scandinavian ancestry   His father is from North East Wales, he is no longer with us but one of his brothers is still alive.   I am from North West Wales as were both my parents there were rumours in my dad's maternal side about a spanish lady (?). 

Who would be best to test ?  Available are, myself, my husband and son.  My male cousin from my dad's side - his dad and my dad were brothers.  My Mum's brother and his son.   Of course I would prefer to do the least number possible.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions - thank you for reading
Nesta

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 February 15 18:25 GMT (UK) »
I believe the term which gives origins is the Haplotype. If you have a Y chromosome test (37 marker)
this will test the Males, and the haplotype will show where their type is common; it will not be precise but will help to eliminate possibilities. Test your husband, male cousin (Dad's side) Mother's brother and yourself. For obvious reasons after something I found in a related line, it can be dangerous to test two generations, i.e. father and son. But as I am no expert on DNA please do NOT make an investment until one of the more knowledgeable members e.g. Devon Crwys has commented.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 February 15 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your input . I will hang on before purchasing
Nesta