Author Topic: RN WW2 records query - D.S.M.  (Read 6526 times)

Offline 2twigs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RN WW2 records query - D.S.M.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 February 15 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much for the help and replies. Huge thanks also for looking up in books which has saved me lots of time and money.  :-*

Re looking at ADM 171/164, originally it was (still is) my intention to visit Kew.
On Friday I was pointed in this direction: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C975134
and I searched through the pages here: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C975134#imageViewerLink

I’m quite prepared to have to visit Kew but having never been before I wanted to ensure I started looking in the right place once I got there. I take it ADM 1 is the place to start?

Thanks for the comment re L Gazette having a poor search engine, that’s reassuring given the frustrations I had with it. Superb top tip and link to the Seedie’s roll of Naval Honours and Awards. The easiest to reach copies for me are in London, shame there isn’t one in Portsmouth. So a trip to London it is.

Again I can’t thank you all enough  :) :) :)  , this info would have taken me many hours over many weeks to even get close to (if at all). It might be a few weeks before I can get to London but if and when I find out anything I’ll update here. The quest to confirm continues…

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 February 15 22:03 GMT (UK) »
I know Drew - very expensive  :'(. Seedie's is the bible for maritime wartime awards but, that said, like any piece of written work, there are mistakes and omissions. I have the MN version which I picked up by chance on eBay for a lot, lot less than that.

Regards
Hugh

Does it just list the awards or does it contain the citations as well?

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 February 15 22:21 GMT (UK) »
I have not seen the RN version but the MN version gives very basic details such as LG date and a statement such as For services when the ship was torpedoed and sunk etc. The beauty of the book for me is that the LG does not name the ship that the award was given although it did at the beginning of the war and then censorship removed the ship names from the publication. So you can check the LG and find a name and even a citation but not know what ship was involved - unless you have Seedie's of course.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO