Author Topic: John Grieve of Deloraine  (Read 5275 times)

Offline joyce grieve

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Grieve of Deloraine
« on: Friday 30 January 15 00:27 GMT (UK) »
My forbear John Grieve farmed at Easter Deloraine, Selkirkshire. He died there 30 June 1820. Could anyone tell me where he might have been buried.

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Grieve of Deloraine
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 February 15 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Joyce. They should be in Ettrick, St Marys ,Yarrow or Kirkhope cemeteries but having checked there are no John  Grieves on any headstone. I found an adam grieve at nether deloraine in the Ettrick Miliitia circa 1802.I transcribed all the above cemeteries and have checked Ashkirk and selkirk as well but no luck.
I have just checked St marys and found a John Grieve died 1826 cacrabank son of a minister.There are several Grieves in St Marys.
If you are Elliots Joyce and need more help just give me a call.
cheers
alan turnbull

turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline joyce grieve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 February 15 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan for doing all those lookups. This John remains a mystery. I have his place and date of death through the commissary of Peebles, district of Selkirk report. Sadly it does not give his age at death. That info. might help me find the previous generation. I do have lots of info. on John's younger  brother Adam, my GGGgrandfather  who is buried at Unthank. Having been to that cemetery there may be some stones there  that cannot be deciphered. Thanks, Joyce

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Joyce
A Hawick Word Book says that John Grieve son of John Grieve and Janet Grieve was ancestor of the Grieves of Deloraine and Bowhill.
his brother Walter was born in 1724 and died in 1790.
It is possible that he is the father of Adam and John you mention in these posts.
I haven't been able to trace the line of John died 1732 back, but the above book is awesome for any one researching Scottish Ancestors.

Offline Eremophila

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 September 21 04:39 BST (UK) »
 Thomas Scott came to South Australia and named one of his farms at Kersbrook, "Deloraine"  I see you have a John Grieve of Deloraine -  The Scott family were intwinded with the Grieve Family.  A Charles Grieve came to Truro, South Australia and named his property "Laroonda"  I believe he was send by his Uncle in Selkirk, he was unmarried.  But other Grieves married into the Scott Family.
Thomas Scott & Mary Armstrong came to Australia aboard the "Moffat" with their children. I do not have dates at hand but can look them up.  The South Australian Scott descendants have wondered what the connection to " Deloraine " was. Was Deloraine a farm or an area in Selkirk?  B. R.

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 October 21 21:01 BST (UK) »

(see West Border, 1:13, p. -32, "Transactions," 1943, and B 5:1, pp. 63 and 64, St Mary's Reg .', "Transactions," 1935) ; (c) John, baker, latterly London, b. 1759,. d. October, 1826, m. (first) 17th September, 178f, Isobel Grieve, d. 11th May, 1805, third <111ughter of William Grieve (1726-1786), in Southfield (second son of James Grieve, 1684- 1781, tenant in Branxholm Park and Todshawhaugh), and Mary Elli:ot, eldest daug. of JRobert Elliot of Carlenrig, farmer in Winningtonridge (1694-1777), issue-Mary, b. 7th December, 1789, ,bur. 22nd July, 1818, m. James Thomson~ soldier, no issue; and then to -- '£homso'n, hind, Liddesdale, in 1817; Elizabeth, b. 7th August, 1791, m. 182-0or 1826 to -- Goodfellow, farmer, in

I copied this from Hawick Wellogate transactions fromHawick archaeological Soc. concerning Grieves who seem to farm at Southfield ( I presume near Hawick) they are all early Grieves and may help somebody in their research.
waddell-roxburghshire
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 April 22 22:24 BST (UK) »
Thomas Scott came to South Australia and named one of his farms at Kersbrook, "Deloraine"  I see you have a John Grieve of Deloraine -  The Scott family were intwinded with the Grieve Family.  A Charles Grieve came to Truro, South Australia and named his property "Laroonda"  I believe he was send by his Uncle in Selkirk, he was unmarried.  But other Grieves married into the Scott Family.
Thomas Scott & Mary Armstrong came to Australia aboard the "Moffat" with their children. I do not have dates at hand but can look them up.  The South Australian Scott descendants have wondered what the connection to " Deloraine " was. Was Deloraine a farm or an area in Selkirk?  B. R.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=558361

Easter and Wester Deloraine are farms near the Deloraine Burn, in the link above if you open the interactive map and zoom out Selkirk is to the North and East.

https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search/results?st=deloraine
The Scotlands places site provides reference to tax rolls and the 1858 Ordnance Survey name book entries for Deloraine. A Mr. Scott appears to be the tenant of Wester Deloraine at the time.

Hope that helps.

S_L

Incidentally, though I doubt it may help, I have an interest in a Christina Grieve who married a Clyde and is listed nearby in the 1840 census. No known connection to the original poster's ancestor though as far as I know.

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 April 22 15:16 BST (UK) »
Joyce, Recently I found a book called Blanket Preaching which they did at St Marys cemetery St Marys Lock .The appendix includes the transactions that the Yarrow Minister did in the early 1900s.and has many Grieves .As this is the earliest details recorded and the cemetery is beyond repair I have retyped it and will try and send it to you. It may help.
Its not working send me your email and I will send you a copy
waddell-roxburghshire
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders