Author Topic: Kendal record office lookup please  (Read 6829 times)

Offline Evertonian2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kendal record office lookup please
« on: Friday 30 January 15 10:20 GMT (UK) »
According to Familysearch, Emmanuel Theobalds Wilkinson was born to Mary Wilkinson and the baptism was registered at Kirkby Lonsdale. Christening date is given as 13 September 1794.  I have looked at the registers at Kendal but been unable to find this baptism.  Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place!  I wonder if someone more familiar with the records than I am would be kind enough to have a go at finding this baptism - it may break down a long-standing brick wall for me!  Is it possible that the baptism took place at one of the satellite churches?  I would be most grateful if someone could have a go for me - I live some distance from Kendal and I have had two fruitless journeys so for.  Many thanks

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Kendal record office lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 January 15 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch entry shows place of baptism and residence as Kirkby Lonsdale.Were you not able to find PR or just this entry?
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Evertonian2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 January 15 17:18 GMT (UK) »
It was just this record that I couldn't find.  It mystified me because it seemed to have so much detail and wasn't a record that just came from someone's family tree (e.g. date given as 'about').  I expected to go straight to the record.  It was most frustrating!  I thought someone else with more experience than me might be able to find it.  Thanks for your interest!

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 January 15 22:34 GMT (UK) »
hi
are you sure it was CofE it may have been one of the Chapels, Weslyan or Quaker etc
regards
westmorland

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 February 15 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Appears to be no chapels etc,,http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/WES/KirkbyLonsdale/
LDS film 1471665 is Kirkby Lonsdale 1538-1910.
Did you consult with staff at Kendal RO?

Offline Evertonian2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 February 15 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Re: staff at Kendal record office.
I didn't find them particularly helpful, I have to say.  For one thing, they didn't have an uptodate copy of Familysearch, so they couldn't check the copy I was showing them.  I found it rather unsatisfactory.

Do you have any other suggestions for finding this baptism - or did it not take place, and was merely made up by a member of the LDS church?  I find this hard to believe, but I am stumped.

I am actually seeking the birth/baptism of my ggggrandfather, Emanuel Theobalds HUTCHINSON, who lived his life in Leck, Lancashire (not far from Kirkby Lonsdale), and this is the nearest I have go to him.  I am wondering if this child, Emanuel Theobalds WILKINSON, was actually him and was adopted by someone in the Hutchinson family and took their family name.  Do you think this is feasible?  I have found a marriage at Tunstall(parish including Leck) between Edward Hutchinson and Elizabeth Wilkinson, so there is a family connection.  What do you think?

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 February 15 01:37 GMT (UK) »
You seem to be struggling with what each place has in regard to records.
Have you used wiki at familysearch?
LDS created IGI by filming PR's held by Records Offices.RO's are not required to refer to familysearch as they hold the originals.
Did staff at RO help you find the film?On two trips from Australia to Kendal,i have nothing but praise for the staff as my first visit i was at the wrong RO..
Emmanuel is base born,so it is unlikely there will be any further information at baptism.Have you traced Wilkinson's life to eliminate or include him?Have you found a Hutchinson family with no other children in Kirkby Lonsdale or Leck?
Go back a generation and look at Mary and Elizabeth's births and the latters marriage,maybe Elizabeth had no children and Mary was just too young to raise a child.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 February 15 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Re: staff at Kendal record office.
I didn't find them particularly helpful, I have to say.  For one thing, they didn't have an uptodate copy of Familysearch, so they couldn't check the copy I was showing them.  I found it rather unsatisfactory.

Familysearch.org is a website run by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and based in Utah (I think) and Record Offices can only access exactly the same information online as you can.

According to Familysearch.org the record is of the Kirkby-Lonsdale Parish Registers on film no 1471665. If you scroll down on the link below there is information about film no 1471665

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/395611?availability=Family%20History%20Library

If you have an LDS Family History Library near you then you might be better off ordering the film in. It is possible that the LDS have miss-labelled the batch, or the date has been transcribed incorrectly

Andy

Offline JeanGris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 February 15 13:30 GMT (UK) »
The only records indexed by LDS for Kirkby Lonsdale are:

C055441 1813-1858
C391278 1813-1901
C391279 1813-1901
M055441 1813-1837
C= Christenings
M = Marriages

The record which you refer to Batch No I03668-0 is not an entry from the parish register but from  an indexing project (I = Indexing Project Batch Number) so open to errors and no way of finding out where the information was taken from when compiling this index.

The reference for Kirkby Lonsdale parish records which are held at Preston Records Office on microfilm is WPR19 1538-1967, and Kendal Records Office hold the Bishops’ Transcripts only on microfilm.
Author of  THE GRISENTHWAITE NAME THROUGH TIME
Also researching:
Affleck; Holmes; Wilkinson; Watson