Author Topic: EMMA EUGENIA Passenger list May 1858 arrival Fremantle  (Read 10275 times)

Offline joannemclean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: EMMA EUGENIA Passenger list May 1858 arrival Fremantle
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 20:15 BST (UK) »
sandiep - Thank you so much for the follow up! Unfortunately, this Mary Anne Sheehan is 10 years too old. The co-incidence is very interesting though.

I was *hoping* for a ship-board romance between Ship Surgeon Superintendent, John Simpson Howard (my GGGGrandfather), and a Mary Ann Sheehan who was born in 1843, London. They subsequently get married in Australia, and carry on to live in India. However, I can't make the facts fit.  :'(

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 21:04 BST (UK) »
are we sure of birth date cos they married 1858 so she would only be 15
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joannemclean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi - Yes, pretty sure of the birthday (census records). I'm not sure about the marriage in Australia. I know my GGGGrandfather was John Simpson Howard. He married Mary Ann (Last name unknown). I was hoping it was the marriage record found in Australia. I've not found any other records. And, as always, it could be a totally different John Simpson Howard. The coincidences were just looking promising.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 21:14 BST (UK) »
do we have birth date and where for John might be able to track marriage that way
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 21:51 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the marriage in Kensington of John Howard and a Mary Ann Thomas in 1860

only a possible not sure

Offline joannemclean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 22:07 BST (UK) »
John Simpson Howard was born - 11 FEB 1830 • Bangalor, Madras, India. I am not sure about the 1860 marriage in Kensington. Howard had been in the UK for medical schooling, but had returned to India by 26 August 1858.

Also, later on Mary Ann travelled from England back to Bombay with a "John Alexander Sheen", so I was hoping this was her brother.

Thanks for checking! I always appreciate another set of eyes!

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 11 July 19 01:55 BST (UK) »
Their daughter's marriage:

REINER - HOWARD - May 21st, John Batist, son of the late Andrew Reiner, Esq., of Baden-Baden, to Florence Mary Lloyd, only surviving daughter of Surgeon-Major John Simpson Howard, M.B., M.R.C.S., Indian Army, retired, formerly of Highbury, Northam, and niece of the late Mrs. Lloyd Williams, of Gwernant Park, Cardiganshire, and 22, Imperial-square, Cheltenham.

I think that 'niece' should actually be 'great niece'.  Mrs LLOYD-WILLIAMS was Ann Maria MITCHELL who married Caulfield Tynte LLOYD-WILLIAMS in 1841 at Marylebone, and her father was Alexander MITCHELL (marriage cert says 'Gentleman').

Ann Maria MITCHELL
Baptism Date:    1 Apr 1821
Baptism Place:    St Marylebone, Westminster, England
Father:    Alexander MITCHELL
Mother:    Eleanor

Also baptised at Marylebone to John and Eleanor were Eleanor Catherine in 1816 and Alexander in 1818.

Eleanor Catherine married in May 1837 to John SHEEHAN at Marylebone and Ann Maria was a witness.  Pre civil reg., but baptism registers show him as an Engineer.

GRO indexes show amongst others, Mary born in 1841 and John Alexander born in 1848.  In 1851 they are both with their uncle Alexander in Westminster.  I can see baptisms for some of the children of John and Eleanor in London, but not Mary.

I know my GGGGrandfather was John Simpson Howard. He married Mary Ann (Last name unknown).

I assume this is the baptism and birth reg. of their only child to be born in England:

John Cecil HOWARD
Baptism Date: 7 Nov 1880
Baptism Place: Leckhampton, St Peter, Gloucestershire, England
Father: John Simpson HOWARD M.D.
Mother: Mary Ann

HOWARD, CECIL
Mother's maiden surname: SHEEN     
GRO Reference: 1880  J Quarter in CHELTENHAM  Volume 06A  Page 440

Debra  :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 11 July 19 03:32 BST (UK) »
John and Mary Ann's son Henry (Harry) Herbert married his cousin Hannah Ellen COX in 1901 and she is with the HOWARDs in 1901 in Sussex.  Her parents were Samuel Robert COX and Mary Ann's sister Eleanor Ann Maria SHEEHAN who were married in 1859.

Debra  :)

Offline joannemclean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 11 July 19 06:07 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness! You have solved so many mysteries for me! Thank you so very much! I have been banging my head against a wall trying to figure out how Ann Maria Lloyd-Williams (nee:  Mitchell) fit in the family. Wow!  :D  :) :D