Author Topic: Marriage lookup request: Mills & Eustace 1810c  (Read 2644 times)

Offline VMills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage lookup request: Mills & Eustace 1810c
« on: Saturday 31 January 15 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Mills married c 1810 Mary Eustace (French: Marie Eustas), and I believe in St P.Port.

Alexander was born March 10 1784 in County Fermanagh, Ireland.

Mary’s Guernsey parents are Thomas Eustas & mother  _ Elizabeth? _
Mary was born 1788 in either St Peter port or St Martins and died 17 September 1868 of ‘natural causes’ at age 80, at Rue Saumarez St Peter Port, Guernsey. She may have siblings Jean & Elizabeth. Mary and Elizabeth appear in the Guernsey census 1841, 1851, and Mary again 1861.

I would like to confirm the date of Alexander & Mary's marriage and especially the parents' details of the couple.  ((Alex and Mary went onto have 11 children))

Thanks
V.

Offline craigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup request: Mills & Eustace 1810c
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 January 15 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I got the staff at the Priaulx Library to look up this marriage and a number of other records regarding the Mills and Eustace families:

Mary Eustace’s marriage to Alexander Mills:

Corporal Alexander Mills 4th G Battalion and Mary Eustace the daughter of John Eustace were married together 17 August 1814

Note:  Mary’s death certificate states her father is named Thomas however the marriage certificate gives the name as John, - it may be that the person who registered the death made an error.  A John Eustace is godparent to John born 1815.

Alexander Mills’ previous marriage

From the Jerripedia website, all records for St Helier, Jersey:

Alexander Mills 4 Garrison Battalion married Grace Coad on 15 November 1810.

Baptism: George John Mills baptised 30 August 1811 Parents Alexander and Grace Mills

Grace Cord Mills buried on 24 November 1811

I will post other records separately.

Regards,
Craigt.

Offline VMills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 February 15 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Craig! (and for the other information posted here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=376999.new;topicseen#new ))

The info about Alexander being a Corporal is great advancement on what I knew; but I assume there were no details of his parents?! Darn.

And as for religion; what Church were he and Mary married in 1814? (might help with the Ireland search you see)

Thank you again for sharing such important info.

Offline craigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 February 15 05:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, the 1814 marriage between Alexander Mills b. c. 1785 and Mary Eustace was held in the Town Church which is Anglican.

I came across a website which contains information about the 4th Garrison Battalion in which Alexander was enlisted:

http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Britain/Infantry/Regiments/c_Veterans.html

The website indicates that there were eight possible regiments which supplied soldiers for the 4th Garrison Battalion: the 3rd/2, 4th/2, 18th/2, 44th/2, 56th/2, 57th/2, 58th/2 and 67th/2, and of these the second Battalions of the 18th, 44th, 58th, and 67th Regiments were raised in Ireland with the others being raised in England. Muster Books exist not only for the 4th Garrison Battalions, but also for the 2nd Battalions of all of the above eight Regiments. In addition, Description Books and Casualty Books exist for the 4th Garrison Battalion, the Casualty books record why soldiers left for any reason: death, discharge, desertion etc. As Alexander had to have been an invalid in the first place to enlist as a Garrison soldier, it is possible he was granted a pension on discharge. So, through tracing Alexander back through the Muster records held at Archives in Kew, London, backwards through the Garrison to the Regiment in which he first enlisted, and looking at the Description and other records, we should be able to find out where he enlisted, and hopefully where he was born. As you indicated, the records held in Guernsey give no clue as to who Alexander's parents were, and neither is it likely that his army records will record these details. It is possible, if the Church of Ireland records still exist, that a likely baptism record for Alexander might be found. Even if it isn't it would great to find out a lot more about Alexander through his Army records.
Regards,
Craigt.

Offline craigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 February 15 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have a copy of the family Bible page which records that Alexander Mills was born in 1784 in County Fermanagh, but how were you able to find out that he was born on 10 March in that year?
Craig.