Author Topic: Thomas Shanks & Sarah Fleming/Fleeting Black  (Read 10038 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thomas Shanks & Sarah Fleming/Fleeting Black
« on: Monday 04 July 05 21:49 BST (UK) »
Thomas Shanks married Sarah Fleming/Fleeting Black on 10  February 1829 in Portpatrick, Wigtonshire, Scotland.

I am trying to find out more about where they came from & who their ancestors were.  The following information is unsubstantiated and I am hoping that someone can help.

Thomas may have been born in Ireland around 1806, the son of James Shanks and Martha Arlow/Arlour.

Sarah may have come from Ayr in Scotland the (possibly illegitimate) daughter of Hugh Black and Dorothy Fleming/Fleeting.

I would be very grateful for any assistance that anyone can give with this.
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline snowwhite77

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Shanks & Sarah Fleming/Fleeting Black
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 July 05 19:48 BST (UK) »
Here is the family in 1851 census

Address 895 West Gaennoch, Stoneykirk

Thomas age 45, occupation Weaver, married, Born Ireland

Sarah age 41, wife, married, born Ayr, Ayrshire

William age 12, son, born inch

John, age 10, son, born Inch

Sarah age 6 , daughter, born Inch

Matha, age 3, daughter, born Inch

Thomas, age 2months, born Stoneykirk

I looked at the birth records on LDs site. there are a few possible for both of them. The best way to find out is to look at their marriage record and check if parents names are noted. These would be Old Parish Records. If you have a LDS family history centre near  you, you should be able to view them there. There marriage will not be available online at scotlandspeople because it was before 1854.

Another possible however  is to try their death records on scotlands people. If you can find them throught he census you should be able to estimate a year of death.

I did check for Sarah for you as you can check under her maiden name and married name.
There isonly one match but it is not in Wigtown. I can't see which area it is in, but it may be worth you ourchasing the credits required and checking them.

Hope this helps you
Amanda
PATERSON- Fife,
CHALMERS- Stirlignshire
DRYSDALE - Kinross, Clackmannan
GORMAN, MOORE -Birkenhead
BELL DIAMOND Dunbartonshire
PRENTICE, HAMILTON CUNNINGHAM - Lanarkshire
FYFE - Perthshire
FAGAN - Lanarkshire
CROSBIE, SCOTT, STEVENSON, MORRISON, CHRISTIAN,- Wigtown

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 July 05 20:11 BST (UK) »
Amanda

Thank you very much for this info.

I had been given the 1851 census for this family already and thought that it was Anthony Withers Shanks who was aged 2 months at the time of the census (not Thomas).  The parents Thomas & Sarah did have a much older son, also Thomas, who I believe was born around 1830, possibly in Donaghadee Down, Ireland.  From what I can gather he lived until 1868, when he passed away in Lochend, Campbeltown, Argyll.

It's all a bit of a mystery!

A few relatives have got stuck trying to trace the families beyond Thomas & Sarah - I guess we will just need to keep trying. 

Thank you once again for your help

Regards

Andrew

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline snowwhite77

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 July 05 21:23 BST (UK) »
I assume the info you had previously was from LDS.
One of them is probably wrong but who knows which!! The census does have errors sometimes. Although i don't see how Anthony can be mistaken for Thomas, but stranger things have happened!

The list differs slightly form the census

1. HUGH SHANKS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 14 FEB 1832 Stranraer, Wigtown, Scotland

2. MARTHA SHANKS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 16 MAY 1847 Inch, Wigtown, Scotland

3. JOHN SHANKS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 09 JAN 1842 Inch, Wigtown, Scotland

4. WILLIAM SHANKS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 12 FEB 1839 Inch, Wigtown, Scotland

5. ANTHONY SHANKS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 26 JAN 1851 Stoneykirk, Wigtown, Scotland

6. HUGH SHANKS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 14 FEB 1837 Inch, Wigtown, Scotland

7. JAMES SHANKS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 12 SEP 1834 Inch, Wigtown, Scotland 

No Sarah, no Thomas. But there is a Hugh and Anthony. I assumed Hugh had left home already, so i checked the census for him and found a possible,

address, 898 Freugh
Hugh Shanks age 15, unmarried, Errand boy, Servant in the household of Andrew Hannay, born Inch,
This was a farm in Wigtown.The age is slightly out, but then that is not too unusual either.

Hope you find this of help
Amanda

PATERSON- Fife,
CHALMERS- Stirlignshire
FYFE - Perthshire
FAGAN - Lanarkshire

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 July 05 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda

Thank you for this - the info that I had been given regarding the children must have come from the list as it is exactly the same.

The origins of their parents Thomas & Sarah remains a bit of a mystery. I had been told that Thomas was buried in Portpatrick in 1865 and that his eldest son, also Thomas, is buried with him.  Sometime after this Sarah moved to Glasgow where she died in 1889.

The 1841 census for Mount Pleasant, Stranraer may hold a clue as it states that 'Dolly Shank 69 b. Ireland' was living with them.  It occurred to me that she may be Thomas' mother although I had been told that his parents were likely to have been Thomas Shanks & Martha Arlow/Arlour.  Presumably Dolly either died or moved away between the 1841 &1851 census.

Regards

Andrew 

Offline snowwhite77

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 July 05 12:33 BST (UK) »
The following link will take you to the Wigtown pages, and show you a person who is researching the shanks surname for Portpatrick.

If you click on the number beside the entry (061) it takes you to a list of email addresses. Look for number 061 and you will be able to contact this person.

Good Luck, and i hope you find this helpful.

Amanda
PATERSON- Fife,
CHALMERS- Stirlignshire
FYFE - Perthshire
FAGAN - Lanarkshire

Offline Nickipok

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 February 16 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Coonwarra

I am doing research on this ancestor as well. I live in Oklahoma and have been researching for my neighbors. I am originally from Scotland and in Late April we are planning a trip to my hometown (AYR) and to Whithorn/Wigtown area to do additional research.

I have thomas and sarah's marriage record but it shows no parents names. I am continuing this research. I cannot send messages on here as I just registered. I would love to speak with you more and share records and any information.

I know it has been many years since you posted this thread so I am hoping that you are still interested in this research.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 February 16 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nickipok, welcome to Rootschat!  Coonwarra has been on line recently, so may well see it.  If you just post 2 more quickies on here, you will then be able to use the Private Message function to contact him.  Just a hallo and a smiley will do it!

Good luck with your queries!

Jeanne 😄
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 February 16 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nickipok,

Well it's nearly 11 years since my original posting on this topic but I am still around and researching the Shanks family!

I did not know that some of them had made it to Oklahoma but I did know that some family members had emigrated to the US, so I guess it's not too surprising.

Regards

:)