Author Topic: Findmy past problem  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Findmy past problem
« on: Saturday 31 January 15 18:38 GMT (UK) »
    When I have more than one Findmypast screen in use at the same time, I find that they seem to align themselves so they both show the same info. I have just lost a census screen, which has changed to match the BMD one I was also using. Any suggestions please?
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Findmy past problem
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 January 15 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I've also noticed it does this, but usually only when I actually try and change the view on the previous screen, ie. go back to results or view an entry in the results list.  Unfortunately I suspect, unlike with ancestry, it may be a "feature". 

I haven't though noticed it simply change without anything being done. 

If you have more than one web browser installed on your PC, you could login to FindMyPast in the second browser, as I suspect it won't do that then but you'd need to try and see.  You'd most likely only be able to view one extra screen at the same time but it would be better than nothing.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 January 15 19:02 GMT (UK) »
    I think it is sulking now! Refusing to tell me anything about my family in !911 - even people I know very well are there. Time to switch off and on again I think!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 January 15 19:56 GMT (UK) »
I have been working on Findmypast with three windows open, one for BMD's, one the census and the third military records, no problem at all, I am using Firefox.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 January 15 21:24 GMT (UK) »
May be dependent then on which browser you use, I tend to use IE10 most of the time and it has behaved in this way at times.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 January 15 22:29 GMT (UK) »
    I use Firefox, which Jebber uses without problems. Must just be the whims of computers - we do expect a lot of them, I suppose.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 January 15 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Like the four foot six tall magistrate, I think its simply one of those small things that come to try us!

I suspect that its n'owt to do with FindMyPast but your browser. I used to have the same problem wth Ancestry/Safari when, if I tried to open a link on a new tab, the one I was on also went to the link. The problem eventually went away.

I would add that I've never had a similar issue with FindMyPast.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 February 15 01:09 GMT (UK) »
I've never had a problem with ancestry in IE or Firefox.  It could be browser related but the fact it works on some sites rather than others is strange.

Unfortunately probably one of those things sent to try us. :-X