Author Topic: Henry Jones and family menai anglesey  (Read 17192 times)

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Jones and family menai anglesey
« on: Saturday 31 January 15 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I,m researching my husbands family on his mothers side who were all born and lived in menai. His grandma leaving there in her teens to marry in Colechester leaving her parents and siblings. My husband remembers visiting her sisters with his mum when he was young but knows nothing really of his great grandad and ancesters who were all Anglesey born and bred. The aunts who he used to visit are all passed now as is his mother who apparently knew little other than her mothers sisters. The family grave is on church island which we have visited a few times but is very overgrown and has just a small squarish stone just visable. We understand that this stone was put there in about 1964 when my husbands gran passed away and two of her sons travelled to Anglesey with the stone and her ashes to place it on a grave that was already there. The part of the stone that was visable has inscribed on one side Jane Ellen ( my husbands nan ) on another side Henry ( her father ) I only discovered he was her father through research , the name Elizabeth on another side ( her mother ) again through research and another name which we could not make out. We did want to have a good dig around as we are sure there would be another larger slab or something underneath but as I say the ground  is solid and I don't think the vicar ect would think to good of us if we started digging about  :) . So I have Henry Jones boatman born about 1865 in menai bridge lived at port Llandegfan also later in Well st menai. I believe he married Elizabeth Williams in about 1895 at bangor. She was from Bethesda. Their children were
William H born 1897 Llandegfan port died falling from the bridge so family say in about the 1930's working on it I think.
Jane Ellen born 1899 Llandegfan port ( my husbands nan )
Lizzie born 1900 passed away 1979 married to Renig Merion Jones lived ryhdd menai
Richard m born 1901 Llandegfan port
kittie born 1902 Llandegfan port
Hugh born 1905 llandegfan port
Peggy born 1911ish well street menai bridge. The family of henry Jones were still at well street in 1917 other than that we do not know when Henry died, we think his parents were Hugh jones and Jane jones he being a mariner too. They lived in Bryn pilot during the 1880's/90's we think. Any information at all we would be very gratefull ,it is difficult for us to get back to menai ill health and distance but we will eventually . Sorry for a bit of a drawn out post ???
Churchyard biggleswade and bedford
Currie galashiels and Selkirk
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Jones and family menai anglesey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 January 15 20:12 GMT (UK) »
There are baptisms for William Henry 1897 and Jane Ellen 14 Aug 1898 residence Bronhaul father Henry a sailor mother Elizabeth
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 January 15 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello and thanks that will be them I've been on ancestry and north wales bmd for the births would you know where they were baptised please. I could not find any baptisms where I was looking thanks again .
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 January 15 21:33 GMT (UK) »
they were baptised at  Llandegfan there could be more but I only looked at those two
strange Henry was a general labourer on 1901 census.but a sailor on the 2 baptisms
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 January 15 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Henry's death registration has:

Henry Jones age 69 died 4 Oct 1934 at 14 Well St. Menai Bridge, Llandysilio. He was described as a Yachtsman. The informant was Hugh Thomas Jones, son.

He is living at Beudy, Menai Bridge in the 1871 census, aged 6, grandson of the head of the household - Hugh Jones, 68, Boatman b. Menai Bridge and his wife Ellin, 66, b. Llanllyfni, Caernarvonshire.

He was baptized at Llandysilio Parish Church on 16 Oct 1864, the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Jones.

Elizabeth was born 2 Nov 1841 at Llandysilio, the daughter of Hugh Jones and Ellen (maiden name Griffiths). The family are living at 'Barix' Menai Bridge, Llandysilio in the 1851 census.

Hope this helps.
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 January 15 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, yes I've found that on the census I've looked at on 2 of his daughters marriage certs it also states he was a boatman. Maybe when the weather was rough winter time say he may have done some labouring jobs. If I have the right father for him Hugh Jones he is on the census as being a master mariner. Living so close to the straights that was one of the main occupations I think apart from the quarries on the main land. Thanks for your interest :)
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 January 15 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Dragon-T
Hello and many thanks we had no idea when Henry died, I had been wondering about his parents I came across 1891 census were it says

Hugh Jones age 56 head
Jane Jones age 50 wife
Henry Jones son age 25
David e jones son age 16
Mary daughter age 10   all living at 99 Bryn Pilot port of Llandegfan.

In the 1881 census same address
Jane jones age 40 mariners wife
Henry age 15
David e age 6
Mary age 7mths

I cannot trace Hugh or wife Jane in the earlier census but like you find Henry living with grandparents. Hugh his grandparent is older than the Hugh in the later census so not the same person that's what gets confusing . Thanks for your help much apprieciated.
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 February 15 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello again would Henry's and the other baptisims have been at St Tysilios on church island or one of the other churches in that area i.e St Mary's or other ? How do I find out , sorry for appearing dim many thanks.

Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 February 15 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi daisy59, the baptism of Henry Jones on 16 Oct 1864 is in the Llandysilio parish records and I believe St. Tysilio is the parish church (Genuki http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/AGY/Llandysilio/index.html). FindmyPast have the image of the parish record.

I hope to send more information tomorrow.

Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk