Author Topic: Henry Jones and family menai anglesey  (Read 17190 times)

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Jones and family menai anglesey
« Reply #45 on: Friday 04 November 16 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so much I do believe you have Henry's family there. I was just off to bed so will get back to you later I will invest in that book . The Ellen spinster mentioned is one of Henry's sisters . more tomorrow and again thanks so much.
yvonne
Churchyard biggleswade and bedford
Currie galashiels and Selkirk
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline Jonesey2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 05:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I’m very new to family research - just a few weeks in. I was delighted to stumble on this thread today because I think I can contribute, and I’ve certainly got a heap of great leads from the conversation about Henry Jones. Here’s what I have:

I am the great granddaughter of Thomas John Jones, born 3/3/1874 to Elizabeth Jones and ‘Henry Jones, deceased, Mariner’. He’s the younger brother of the Henry Jones you’re focusing on. He was the fifth child of Elizabeth, followed by Ellen and then Morris. Like you, I’ve been wondering about the mysterious Henry Jones senior, invisible father of so many. Like younger Henry, Thomas John names Henry Jones, Mariner, as his father on his marriage certificate, and on his naval service record, both of which I have.

I have also found Elizabeth (their mother) in each census record from 1851 to 1881, including the 1871 one where she’s listed as the wife of Hugh, and has three of her four children with her, the missing one being Henry, who, as you’ve discovered, is with his grandparents Hugh and Ellen.  Did you notice on the original record that the three children are listed as ‘relatives’, which is then crossed through and replaced by ‘son’ and ‘daughter’? The mystery deepens.

I have considered a few possibilities, involving a sailor husband gone missing and a brief liaison with Hugh, but the information in this conversation which shows that the children, including the youngest two, seem to be registered as illegitimate, leaves me wondering again. And there is the fact that both Henry junior and my Great Grandpa Thomas John claim Henry as their dad. In fact, on Thomas John’s naval record, he’s recorded as ‘Henry M’. Another mystery. Could Henry senior have been a fictitious father to keep the children happy?

I’m about to order Thomas John’s birth certificate, and I still wonder about the possibility of a later marriage for Elizabeth - I’ve found two likely ones - Carnarvon Mar 1866 - 11b 673, and
Carnarvon Dec 1874 - 11b 813. However I’m now wondering why the last two children, Morris and Ellen, appear as illegitimate.

On a related note, Thomas John married Martha Roberts at Colwyn Bay in 1897, was still there for the birth of their first child, and then moved to Holyhead. He’s at 22 Porth y Fellin Rd in 1901, 3 Armenia Terrace in 1911 and 1 Fairview on the 1939 Register. He was at that address until at least 1948 and beyond. So he’s not the Thomas living at Tylywyn in Well St during that time.

I hope all this is of some use. I’m very glad to have found this conversation.

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello
 So pleased you came across all this, now I have some more information to go on thank you. It is very confusing at times with such a name as Jones. It is easy to be following a line with all the same Christian names and similar dates of birth ect only to find months later that it is the wrong family.  It is really good to come across someone who is actually a distant relative ! I wonder if the Thomas I believed to be Henry's brother living at Tylywyn  would have been a cousin or neighbour. The witnesses on Henry and Elizabeth marriage certificate 1895 are Thomas J Jones and Mary E? looks like Francis but cannot be sure. I'm sure he would have been your Grt grandad. Please let us know what you find from the birth certificate .
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 17 April 17 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hello again, have you any news on the birth certificate ?
 Also if anyone reads this I have the burial record for Henry Jones on Find My Past. It states his burial as 1934 which we knew was when he died, and at Llandysillio his address Well St . There is an x marked on the record and the curate who wrote out the record has marked and underlined what looks like it says x buried in ancient portion x if anyone can look at the record for me and give any idea's as to what it says  I would be very grateful. The record is under Anglesey Burials. Llandysillio page no. 27 and the number next to his record on list is 210 Thanks.
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline Jonesey2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 30 April 17 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hello. Sorry to take so long to reply. I've been busy moving house and haven't been able to do much else. I waited weeks for Thomas John's birth certificate and when it arrived it was incorrect. I was so disappointed. I'll keep trying when life settles down a little. I decided to try to find information about some of the other siblings to try to shed some light on who the various fathers were, and I found a baptism record for the oldest, William, in 1862, with mother Elizabeth Jones and father John Peters, sailor, of Menai Bridge. It sounds like the right one, so far as names, date and location go. I did find a John Peters in Menai Bridge in the 1851, 61 and 71 censuses, although he's a joiner, not a sailor. He's unmarried until then. So many fathers! I'd love to find out more about this family. I intend to keep trying to obtain Thomas's birth certificate, or baptism details, when life gets a little less hectic.

Offline Another Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 22 May 17 10:20 BST (UK) »
 Also if anyone reads this I have the burial record for Henry Jones on Find My Past. It states his burial as 1934 which we knew was when he died, and at Llandysillio his address Well St . There is an x marked on the record and the curate who wrote out the record has marked and underlined what looks like it says x buried in ancient portion x if anyone can look at the record for me and give any idea's as to what it says  I would be very grateful. The record is under Anglesey Burials. Llandysillio page no. 27 and the number next to his record on list is 210 Thanks.

Daisy - Did you ever confirm which Hugh Jones you are related to ?, the family in Beudy or Llandegfan ?

Offline Jonesey2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 04:02 BST (UK) »
I'm having no luck whatever locating birth records for Thomas John Jones. I've just received the third incorrect birth certificate, and I'm mystified about why I can't find the right one, given that I have his exact birth details - Menai Bridge on 13.3.1874. I think I've tracked a death registration in 1961 (Vol 8A page 38) and I'm wondering if this is worth acquiring. I'm not sure what information it will give me. I couldn't find a burial record, but I assume he'll have been buried at Holyhead where he lived. I'll keep searching, but I'd love any assistance anyone could give me.

Daisy, have you discovered any more about your Henry?

Offline russello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I am also researching the same family. My great grandfather Morris Jones, was the son of elizabeth jones and brother to william, catherine, hugh, thomas (half brother). He lived in LLysfaen and was the last coxwain on the llandulas lifeboat. One of his sons, Thomas, was my grandad who died in 1977. I am use ancestry.com and someone has done a family tree with lots of info if you follow: Morris Jones b 1876/77>1911 census>a link appears on the right to show others who are researching this family, it looks like a lady now living in austrailia has done a lot of work. It appears that there a one or two half and illigitmate births which may explain difficulties in getting some info. I have tried to attach a photo of morris with his family in llysfaen

Offline russello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 06 May 21 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hello again, I am trying to contact some of the people trying to get some info regarding this family. I have found an almost complete family tree on one of the geneology websites which has lots of documents relating to hugh/henrys family.