Author Topic: Brodick, Isle of Arran - Where was Goatfell Cottage?  (Read 16585 times)

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Brodick, Isle of Arran - Where was Goatfell Cottage?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 09 February 15 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I like it. I think the others in the picture are family, not sure though.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi. I have just seen this, I am also looking into Goatsfell cottage. My ancestor Frederick Inglis was head gamekeeper there in 1901 and I am trying to find out more about the estate he was working on. The other resident on the 1901 census was John D MacIntosh at Brodick Castle Kennels so I am assuming that Frederick worked for the castle. Have you managed to find out any more, I don't want to irritate the people at the National Trust by another request so soon after yours.
Thanks
Alison

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 14:56 BST (UK) »
Best bet is to contact the museum on Arran. They will have the answer.

http://www.arranmuseum.co.uk/

Marc

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 15:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Marc I will do that
Alison

Offline Martin son of Angus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 15:44 BST (UK) »
I made local historical enquiries and having been directed towards The Kennels adj Brodick Castle, also wrote to the Arran Estate.  I found reference to gamekeepers cottage relating to Castle Lodge which adjoins the buildings formerly known as the kennels: http://www.stay-arran.co.uk/accommodation/cottage.php?ID=1

It looks as though Castle Lodge at Brodick Castle was the head gamekeepers cottage.  I have been told by the Arran Estate that:
"... for many years the house was known as The Kennels, though, and that was since it was presumably extended in the late 1880ís. I think it was always the base for the head keeper. The Estate had about 19 gamekeepers/ stalkers in it s heyday and some underkeepers had their own houses, perhaps in Glenrosa of Corrie/ High Corrie and there were Estate outposts at Lochranza, another at The Heights, one at Kilpatrick another at Dippen, etc. "

As there is an old listed cottage known as "Goatfell Cottage" at High Corrie (only 2 miles north of Brodick) it seems much more likely to be the one I have been looking for.   
FLETCHER (Scotland: Argyllshire [Tighnabruaich], [Dunchragaig], [Slockavullin], [Easdale Island], & Lanarkshire [Rutherglen];
        England: Hampshire)
KEMISH (England: Hampshire & surrounding counties) 
CROOK (England: Somerset & west country)  
NEWBERRY (England: Hampshire, Dorset, Somerset, Devon, Isle of Wight) 
COLE (England: Hampshire & south)
McCARTHY (England: [Liverpool], [Southampton]; Ireland; USA: Florida)
ROWLAND (USA: Florida) 
FRYER (England) 
CALLAGHAN (England)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 23 April 15 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi.
Thank you, that is great and  the sort of information that you can only get by going directly to the source. I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me, this sort of knowledge fills out the people that you are researching doesn't it.
Alison