Author Topic: Query: WW2 Merchant Navy/Royal Navy Service man records  (Read 3702 times)

Offline coffieqween

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Query: WW2 Merchant Navy/Royal Navy Service man records
« on: Sunday 01 February 15 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

My Grandfather was in the Merchant Navy during WW2, I have a copy of his seaman pouch from TNA and have found that he was on loan to the Royal Navy under a T124x agreement, I have found that this means he was under the discipline of the Royal Navy but had the pay and terms of the Merchant Navy, my query is will the Royal Navy hold any service records for him and is it worth making a request to them, I would love to know what ships he served on as he was on at least one ship that was torpedoed, the only ship I do know he served on was Largs, however do not know if this was HMS Largs or SS Largs, any advice is greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance
Cumming, Henderson, Gemmell (Gamble, Gimble), Small, Donnagheu?, Watt, Moyes, Cranston, Rice and many more

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Query: WW2 Merchant Navy/Royal Navy Service man records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 February 15 18:01 GMT (UK) »
If he served under T124 articles. He would have no Royal Navy records.
His service records may be stored in the British National archives in the series BT390
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C15951
Is this the pouch you have or did it come from BT372?
Are you sure the name of the vessel he served on was not LARGS BAY? official number137225  She became a Troopship in 1941 an as such would have at least some crew members, if not the majority who served under T124X articles.
He may also have records in BT382 which may tell you all the vessels he served on but without his name I cannot direct you to the relevent piece number.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline coffieqween

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 February 15 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Seaweed,

His merchant Navy seamans pouch was from BT372, it didn't have a lot of information in it, on one of the documents noted he was discharged 12/7/45 and cause of discharge was I.E.P.R (have no idea what that means) the ships name is just listed as Largs so not sure if it was Largs Bay, I don't think this was the first ship he was on as he told us about at least one ship he was on being sunk, it looks like he signed the T124 agreement in 1940 but no ship name mentioned. While I was at TNA they searched the Fifth Register (i think thats what they called it) with nothing for him, His name was William Cumming No. R198453
Cumming, Henderson, Gemmell (Gamble, Gimble), Small, Donnagheu?, Watt, Moyes, Cranston, Rice and many more

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 February 15 18:46 GMT (UK) »
OK,
If he served continuously on a T124X agreement he may have records here.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11144909
These records are stored in blocks of 60 odd names so you would need to visit Kew again to take a look.
You wrote
While I was at TNA they searched the Fifth Register (i think thats what they called it)
It may well be they searched the BT382 documents but it may be worth looking again.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10988645
Be sure to include his Dis A number in any search

Any chance you could attach the documents you have from his seamans pouch?

Interesting you should say he signed a T124x Agreement in 1940. A captured French vessel CHARLES PLUMIER was renamed LARGS in 1941 after being seized on 22/11/40. Just wondering if your grandad was involved in someway.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline coffieqween

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 February 15 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I will have a look at the links you have provided, as yet i have not scanned the photocopy of the documents but I have just photographed them and will try and upload to my computer and see if I can attach them as soon as possible.

I will be going back to TNA in a couple of months as have other things i want to try and find (not related) so will be sure to follow this up then.

Thank you again

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 February 15 19:16 GMT (UK) »
He has a CR1 card from BT 349 which states he signed T124 Agreement on 18th November 1940 - CR1 cards for T124 usually don't mention ship names only the the note signed T124X agreements. Although he was effectively serving with the RN his records of service will not be held with them but as SW has stated they should be in BT 390.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline coffieqween

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 February 15 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Hugh, I have a card in the seamans pouch that gives that date, its not the CR1, I don't think but it does have a hole punch through the number, back to TNA for me and a lot of searching to do, I would like to find out what ships he served on, he also went missing at one point and was found in hospital after suffering head injuries, for a time he couldn't remember who he was and it took a while to find him so want to look into that also.

thank you

Offline coffieqween

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 February 15 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seaweed, it doesn't seem to be letting me upload the photos of the documents right now, will try again later