Author Topic: Who were Susanna Wolloxall's parents?  (Read 2574 times)

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who were Susanna Wolloxall's parents?
« on: Sunday 01 February 15 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone
Susanna claims to be born at Bewdley in about 1781 (censuses). There are no Susannas anywhere at this time but there are several children born to Thomas and Mary (nee Hill) in Ribbesford at this time and a suitable gap around 1781. I wonder if anyone has access to the originals to check if somehow she has been missed? (all my info. is from family search and the surname seems to present their search engine with a big problem, but I think I have tried all combinations to little avail).
There is another candidate for parentage - a marriage of Humphry and Susanna Clark in Kidderminster on 16 April 1772, I can find no children for them and I think they are buried in Kidderminster: Susanna on 13 Jan 1788 and Humphrey on 14 March 1790.Could anyone check the original of this marriage to see if Humphrey was a widower or no?
My Susanna turns up in Bristol when she marries George Churly in 1799 - I wonder how she got there?
Hoping for some inspiration
Helen

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Who were Susanna Wolloxall's parents?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 February 15 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen,

The Worcestershire Baptism Index http://www.fhs-online.co.uk/ [pay to view a transcription] has 16 WOLLOXALLs (exact spelling) between 1757 and 1830.  Nearest is 1780.  I haven't a subscription but search results are free.  There's no Soundex so what you enter is what you get.

Regards

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 February 15 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen,

The Worcestershire Baptism Index http://www.fhs-online.co.uk/ [pay to view a transcription] has 16 WOLLOXALLs (exact spelling) between 1757 and 1830.  Nearest is 1780.  I haven't a subscription but search results are free.  There's no Soundex so what you enter is what you get.

Thanks for that  have just worked out there at least 64 different ways of sensibly spelling the name (not counting one I found of 'Wollocks'), but will investigate. I already had Henry Wolloxall being baptised in Ribbesford to Thomas and Mary on 31 October 1780.
Thanks Helen

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen
I have checked for the baptism of Susannah Wolloxall in the Ribbesford parish register.
Susannah was baptised on 3rd November 1778 the daughter of Thomas and Mary Wolloxall. The first “o” in the surname could be interpreted as an “a”. The Worcestershire Marriage Index transcription of the entry for Thomas W and Mary Hill’s marriage shows his surname as Walloxall, which is probably the original spelling as in Oldbury & Langley Walloxall etc.

As to how Susannah got to Bristol, she probably went down the River Severn. Vessels plied up and down the river transporting goods, raw materials - and passengers.

Jack

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 February 15 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Jack you are a star.  I have been searching for Susanna for years.  Thank you so very much. 
Best wishes Helen

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 February 19 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I don't think I saw this query when it was posted - only saw it now when I was replying to another old post that had been resurrected.
You may well have the right Susannah - and there is a connection to Bristol. I have the following (not looked at this for ages)

28/3/1768 Humphrey Walloxall, parents Thomas and Mary, baptised Ribbesford (died young?)
7/4/1770 John Walloxall, parents Thomas and Mary, baptised Ribbesford
30/8/1772 Sarah Wolloxall, parents Thomas and Mary, baptised Ribbesford
14/2/1776 Thomas Walloxall, parents Thomas and Mary, baptised Ribbesford
3/11/1778 Susanna Wolloxall, parents Thomas and Mary, baptised Ribbesford
31/10/1780 Henry Wolloxall, parents Thomas and Mary, baptised Ribbesford
19/2/1785 William Wolloxall, parents Thomas and Mary, baptised Ribbesford
11/3/1787 Humphrey Wolloxall, parents Thomas and Mary, baptised Ribbesford

Humphrey is my 4xgrandfather and I have more on him, plus some details on some of the others. Thomas pops up in connection with Bristol I think, listed as subscriber to a poetry book published in 1799 "Mr Tho. Wolloxall of Bristol." He seems to have been over in Wales too, with his children registered at the Baptist Chapel, Caerleon, Newport, Wales in 1801/04/07. Humphrey was a waterman and I think Thomas was linked to the water/harbour in some way - there may be a thread on here about it.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 February 19 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Well what a surprise to hear from you!
Susannah is my 3rd great grandmother and so we are related. (4th cousins once removed I think)
I would be very interested to hear about your descent from Humphrey(1787). Susannah ended her days in South Wales too - in Swansea in 1870. Maybe you should message me privately.
Best wishes
Helen

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 February 19 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi! I'll do that :-)
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk