Author Topic: Marr Rec ? RE:Newcastle T (Gills, Thompson)  (Read 10372 times)

Offline Mel.D.Lorenzo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marr Rec ? RE:Newcastle T (Gills, Thompson)
« on: Sunday 01 February 15 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello again.

So I am looking to find out what happened to Mary Ann Gills post 1855.

I found a marriage record  (or rather: I found matching record index numbers) for Mary Ann Gills and Andrew Thompson on FreeBMD (Dec 1860 Newcastle T 10b 24)

Two assumptions:

1. Newcastle T = Newcastle Upon Tyne
2. Since the names share the same BMD numbers, they married eachother.

So I went to look on FreeReg to see if I could find a parish entry under either one of these names- and I am coming up with nothing.

I would think that if there is a civil registration of marriage then there must be a parish that performed the ceremony.  Am I wrong?

I wanted to make sure that this was the correct Mary Ann (her parents are Robert and Jane Gills. She was born Ponteland abt 1833 [Christening date 07 Apr 1833] and is the natural mother of Joseph Gills [aka Joseph Young]) before I ordered the cert listed.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marr Rec ? RE:Newcastle T (Gills, Thompson)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 February 15 19:04 GMT (UK) »

So I went to look on FreeReg to see if I could find a parish entry under either one of these names- and I am coming up with nothing.

free Reg has little post-1837 marriage information for Newcastle on Tyne as yet http://www.freereg.org.uk/parishes/nbl.htm
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mel.D.Lorenzo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 February 15 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Would there be anywhere I could look that would list her parents or her age/place of birth?

I just checked family search with the two names, and again...I am not getting any other verifying information other than that the familysearch record is the same as the FreeBMD search.

On the upside: I do have a specific date now.  24 Dec 1860.  And a place: All Saints.   

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 February 15 19:27 GMT (UK) »
If all else fails, you can always buy the marriage certificate? ;D

However, neither the certificate nor the parish register entry will tell you her place of birth?
The PR entry may tell you in which parish she was residing while the banns were called?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mel.D.Lorenzo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 February 15 19:33 GMT (UK) »
i was thinking of more finding a father's name associated with the cert....

there are so many Mary Ann Gills in the area during this time...that I don't want to spend money, wait a month for it to get here, just to have it be the wrong person KWIM?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 February 15 19:41 GMT (UK) »
With FreeBMD, if you click on the Registration District name, you get more detail! ;D
And then clicking on the red "here" gives you a list of parishes.

Clicking on the page number lists all the brides & grooms on that page.

Ponteland was in Castle Ward Registration District.

So this marriage looks a better bet?
Mar qtr 1855
Castle Ward district     vol 10b, page 272

Gills, Mary Ann
+ and on the same page +
Edgell, George
Graham, George

Finally don't dismiss the idea that a marriage may have been a Register Office marriage, or Catholic, or non-Conformist, and will therefore not appear in a C of E Parish Register!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mel.D.Lorenzo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 February 15 19:48 GMT (UK) »
I've seen the entry you posted before and I don't believe that it is the same Mary Ann Gills.

Her son was christened in Dec 1855 in Bolam Parish.  His father is listed as John Young and the note on the record states that she (Mary Ann) was a single woman from Trewick

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 February 15 19:51 GMT (UK) »
I would think that if there is a civil registration of marriage then there must be a parish that performed the ceremony.  Am I wrong?

Yes! All marriages, regardless of where they took place, are on the index.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 February 15 20:50 GMT (UK) »

Two assumptions:

1. Newcastle T = Newcastle Upon Tyne

Yes, that is correct

2. Since the names share the same BMD numbers, they married eachother.

Not necessarily. The page number may have two or more marriages on it, all the reference numbers tell you is the names of all the brides and grooms on that page. When you get the result in FreeBMD, click on the page number. In this case that shows that page recorded two marriages and gives you the names of two brides and two grooms. Until you find something to corroborate who married who you can't be sure.

That's not a good assumption. If they married in a C of E church, then there will be a C of E parish record to match. If they married in a non conformist church there may be a matching parish record in that particular church - if it still exists and is accessible. If they married in a registry office there would be no religious content to the marriage and therefore the civil record is the only one,

I wanted to make sure that this was the correct Mary Ann (her parents are Robert and Jane Gills. She was born Ponteland abt 1833 [Christening date 07 Apr 1833] and is the natural mother of Joseph Gills [aka Joseph Young]) before I ordered the cert listed.

:-) In an ideal world you (and I !) would love to be that sure before buying a cert. Unfortunately the most you can check is the father's name and occupation, plus the bride's age as given on the record. Bearing in mind that its possible she was recorded as 'of full age' or that ladies have been known to fib a bit about their ages, checking ages is a grey area :-)

Given that you are in the US I would say that an LDS Family History centre where you could view microfilm of parish records would be your best bet, though as you say you now have a church name and a date, someone may be able to check the record if they are visiting the archives.

Boo