Author Topic: Ann Slessor - more Old Deer Slessors...  (Read 5295 times)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Slessor - more Old Deer Slessors...
« on: Sunday 01 February 15 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Since this Slessor thread popped back to the top the other day, I've been trying in vain to see if I can get my 4x g grandmother, Ann Slessor, to fit into the bewildering array of Slessors around Old Deer. Here's what I have so far - if anyone can shed any light, it would be gratefully received:

Ann Slessor (variously, Ann Slessor, Anne Slacer, Anne Slassir) married John McArthur (baptised 25 Sep 1768, New Deer, the son of John McArthur of Tukshill(?) and Jean Anderson) on 22 Jun 1797, Old Deer. They lived at Guilkhorn(?) and had two sons that I'm aware of:

1. George McArthur (baptised: 9 Jun 1802, New Deer), farmer at Keppleston, New Deer, married Christian Knox (b. abt 1807 New Deer, to James Knox and Janet Ronald; d. 13 Nov 1880, New Deer), 27 Mar 1827, New Deer; died 14 Oct 1870, New Deer. They had five children.

2. Robert McArthur (b. 24 Jun 1806, New Deer), tailor at Little Annochie, Old Deer, married Susan Baxter (b. abt 1812 Monquhitter, to John Baxter and Jane Rennie; d. 11 Jan 1877, at Little Annochie, Old Deer), 11 Jul 1839, New Deer; died 28 Jul 1857, Little Annochie, Old Deer. They had two sons that I know of.

Assuming that Robert McArthur's death record is accurate, his father John McArthur was dead by 1857, but Ann Slessor was still alive. Both are noted as deceased by the time George McArthur died in 1870. I've tried in vain to track down a birth or death for Ann Slessor - not helped, I suspect, by the immense variation in the spelling of Slessor (and the use of the 'long s' in the old parish records) - the transcriptions of some of the census records on A******y for Slessor are hilarious - I've spent most of the day submitting corrections  ;D

Anyway, I've assumed - perhaps incorrectly - that Ann Slessor was from Old Deer - she was certainly resident there by the time of her marriage to John McArthur (who was from New Deer), but I can't fit her into any of the Old Deer Slessors. I also haven't been able to find a death record for John McArthur - but there are a LOT of John McArthurs around, and I have a feeling he died before 1855.

Any illumination gratefully received  :P

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Slessor - more Old Deer Slessors...
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 February 15 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Gilkhorn and Touxhill are both placenames in New Deer. The following gravestones are beside one another at New Deer:

In memory of George M'Arthur d. Culsh 23 July 1843 aged 70. His spouse Bathia Falconer d. there 18 Dec. 1845 aged 64. Their dau. Bathia d. 12 Aug. 1815 aged 5, their son Gordon d. 16 Feb. 1817 aged 18 months. Their grandsons George d. Dumbarton, Canada West 4 July 1864 aged 23, Robert d. Bonnykelly 24 April 1866 aged 17, both sons of George M'Arthur farmer Bonnykelly who d. 7 Jan. 1882 aged 74. His wife Ann Irvine d. 6 Dec. 1893 aged 83. His dau. Ann Watt M'Arthur d. 71 High Street, New Deer 2 Nov. 1928 aged 84.

In memory of George McArthur, Kepplestone, Old Maud d. 14 Oct. 1870 aged 68, his daus. Jane d. 22 Feb. 1851 aged 23, Mary d. 20 Dec. 1852 aged 21. His widow Christian Knox d. 13 Nov. 1880 aged 74.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 February 15 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - that's given me confirmation of the deaths of a couple of George McArthur of Culsh's grandchildren, which I didn't previously have. These two George McArthurs are related - George McArthur of Culsh is the third son of John McArthur and Jean Anderson, so he is an uncle of George McArthur of Kepplestone.

John McArthur and Jean Anderson had one other son (as well as George and John already mentioned) - Robert b. abt 1770, New Deer, and a daughter, Margaret, b. 1765 New Deer - I have no other details about either of these children.
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Many years ago I was given a load of photocopied papers regarding the Slessor families of Old Deer. I passed most of them on to a neighbour as they were about his ancestors. I do still have some research information on the Slessors & will have a look through it & get back to you. My husband has connections to the Slessors. We live near the places already mentioned in previous posts.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline SusanGwynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 March 18 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi my great grandfather John Slessor
a baker died aged around 50 circa1903 in New Pitsligo. His son was John Slessor as per the war memorial. The family moved to Aberdeen after WW1 where Agnes - " Nan" became town clerk. Another son Sandy born c 1896 was a bank manager in Coupar Angus. My granny was Ella born 1901. Think John's wife was a Cathy. Interested to know where they fit into a family tree.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 March 18 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, welcome to rootschat. I'm wondering how far back you know about your family.Have you found your ancestors in the censuses?
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 March 18 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Had a quick look & found the Slessors in the 1901 census at 56 High Street, New Pitsligo. John is 40, born in Old Meldrum.His wife, Catherine is 32, born in Keithall. Their son John, 9, was born in Old Machar (as was his sister Alice A. aged 8). Jeannie C. age 7, was born in Cullen 7 the youngest, Alexander A., age 5 was the only one born in New Pitsligo. From the age given in the census, John would have been 42 or 43 if he died in 1903. A bit younger than you thought.
Hope this helps,
flst

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 March 18 19:31 GMT (UK) »
I think the 1901 census may have his age out by 10 years.

I have John Mutch Slesser, born 20 Jun 1851, Old Meldrum, to William Slesser and Jane/Jean Cruikshank. Married Kathleen/Catherine Angus (daughter of Alexander Angus and Agnes Cassie) on 3 Jul 1891 in Keithhall.

In the 1891 census, he's with his widowed mother in Aberdeen St Nicholas, and again in 1881 in Old Machar - his sister, Isabella Rebecca Slesser is also there. In 1871, the family are in Old Meldrum, again without father William. William is still around in 1861, when the family are again in Old Meldrum.

Ruth

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 March 18 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that would explain the difference then :) Are you connected to this family?
flst