Author Topic: MacFarlane Lang (Biscuit Manufacturers) Glasgow  (Read 6422 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
MacFarlane Lang (Biscuit Manufacturers) Glasgow
« on: Tuesday 03 February 15 03:58 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if there is anyone on here who was related to the above?

My aunt recalls my grandmother mentioning the MacFarlane/Lang's were related whenever the lorry would pass by.

However, I would guestimate the time of this being mentioned to be c1938 - 1948

What ideally I was hoping for was for someone to have a tree whereby they could do a quick scan to see if any of my family names appear in their tree as my aunt has no idea how the family was related  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: MacFarlane Lang (Biscuit Manufacturers) Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 February 15 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Records of MacFarlane Lang & Co Ltd, 1817-1948, biscuit manufacturers, Glasgow, Scotland are held by Glasgow University Archives
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 February 15 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks dee,

I have a few things re the business but I'm hoping to find relatives to establish how my family was related  :-\

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 February 15 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Name changes for the company and timings might give clues (in the absence of anyone popping up with a family tree). See:

The business began as Langs bakery in 1817, before becoming MacFarlane Lang in 1841. The first biscuit factory opened in 1886, and changed its name to MacFarlane Lang & Co in the same year. The business then opened a factory in Fulham, London in 1903, and in 1904 became MacFarlane Lang & Co Ltd. In 1948 it formed United Biscuits Ltd along with McVitie and Price.
http://cheshire.cent.gla.ac.uk/ead/search?operation=search&fieldidx1=bath.corporateName&fieldrel1=exact&fieldcont1=macfarlane%20lang%20%26%20co%20ltd

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 February 15 18:26 GMT (UK) »
James Lang opened a shop and bakery in Gallowgate in 1817. His nephew, John Macfarlane, joined the business and took over when James died. A new bread factory was built at Wesleyan Street in Calton in 1880. The firm decided to move into machine-made biscuit manufacturing and opened the Victoria Biscuit Works on an adjoining site in 1886. Expansion to London followed, with the opening of the Imperial Biscuit Works in Fulham in 1903...
www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSA05084

Can you connect back to either of these lines, Annie?

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 February 15 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hope you can find the connections, Annie.

I love this site, as an amazing archive of old films. This one here http://ssa.nls.uk/film/0535 fits well with your Aunt mentioning the lorry...

Modern equivalent...youtube... www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMFL5wiVYZM

...Just in case other surnames came in to play:

The passion for baking and expertise traces back to the McVitie family’s store, in Edinburgh in 1830. The McVitie family’s flair for baking became hugely popular and expanded into full scale manufacturing. However, it wasn’t until the merger of two family businesses - McVitie & Price and Macfarlane Lang - in 1948, whereby United Biscuits began.

As a marketing girl, but with toiletries and Unilver...finding this interesting  ;)

Clues to names, Annie, would help now...

Monica  :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 February 15 18:53 GMT (UK) »
To be Honest Monica I have not found anything concrete as yet  ;D

I will chat again with my aunt next weekend to try and jog her ailing memory.

I don't like to ask too much all in one go as I dont want to confuse her altogether :-)

My aunt & my mother (now deceased) were born in N Ireland i.e. it would appear the firm's lorries travelled there.

My aunt told me her mother (my grandmother) had told her they (our family) were related to them whenever the lorry drove past.

My grandmothers father was born in St. Andrew's area of Glasgow which is as close as I have to ANY connection !!! ??? ::) ;D

He had family connections in Glasgow, Dundee & Newcastle-upon-Tyne (married twice & 2 families) so it may be through him?

Roll on next weekend  ;D

Annie.

P.S. My aunt is 82 & not in good health & I always try to find what threads she remembers & Ive come a long long way to date & enjoy the tasks.
This is one of 2 queries I have yet to find answers to  :P

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 February 15 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Enjoy the memory travels with your Aunt, Annie.... :)

Hopefully we can make connections along the way to this line. It could be as simple as a son or daughter, a niece or nephew, marrying in somewhere along the way...

Monica

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 February 15 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Monica,

My aunt distinctly remembers the lorry/vehicle with MacFarlane Lang...................none of the other combinations  :P That's a good start. She was born 1933 that's why I guessed her recollection to be around 1938 - 1948.