Author Topic: Register of Corrected Entries - DICKSON  (Read 3635 times)

Offline autumnal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Register of Corrected Entries - DICKSON
« on: Tuesday 03 February 15 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Wilson Dickson, born 08.12.1908, at St. Abbs, registered at Coldingham Berwickshire.
He died 16.11.1916, registered at Coldingham with no cause of death noted.
In the margin is a note, "See Reg of Cor. Entries Vol.2. page 53, 2nd December 1916".
Please tell me how I can see this entry.
Alexander was a cousin of my mother's and I have a suspicion he may have drowned in St. Abbs harbour.
Any help gratefully received.
Clare

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Register of Corrected Entries - DICKSON
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Claire,
If you downloaded the certificate from the scotlandspeople website this is what they say to do to view the register:

'How to view an RCE

Select a statutory image as normal.
If there is an RCE attached to the record, a red View RCE button will appear. Click View RCE to view the relevant RCE. Remember that this will cost you 2 credits.
PLEASE NOTE RCEs are mapped to the relevant page in the statutory register and not to the specific entry. If there are multiple RCEs on the register page, the database will return the first RCE on the page, which may not be the one you are interested in. To view other RCEs on the register page, simply hit the View Page After button. You will not be charged further.
Once you have viewed the RCE, hit Leave RCE to return to the original register page.'

I hope this works for you, otherwise you would have to contact the office directly.
Good luck,
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, Claire,
There are articles about this in newspapers on the findmypast.co.uk website. Because of copyright I don't think I can write them out for you here.
The articles were in the Daily Record, Glasgow, Lanarkshire on the 22 Nov 1916 and in the Southern Reporter, Selkirk on the 23 Nov 1916 and, yes, as you suspected, he did drown in the harbour.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire

Offline autumnal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. I'll reply again when I've followed your suggestions. As to newspapers, I tried the Berwickshire News some the ago but found nothing in there, to my surprise.
Clare

Offline autumnal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 February 15 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Well, I'm making progress! I've printed out the item from the RCE.
I'm searching for a free way to find the articles you mention. I can see in Find my Past a few lines from the article in the Daily Record but I would have to take a month's subscription to be allowed to see it all. I can't find an archive for the Southern Reporter.
Are you able to help me further with those? It's clear that I'm not a very experienced researcher!

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 February 15 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clare,
I know that researching family history is an expensive pastime! However, Roots Chat is very strict in regard to copyright rules and can bar anyone who breaches them so I'm sorry I can't give you any  more information. What I can say though is that if you take out a month's membership with Find My Past you may be lucky enough to find articles regarding other ancestors. I found a few about my renegade great grandfather!
You will soon build up experience and Roots Chat is a good place to ask for information. It helped me quite a bit when I started. If I can help any more just ask.
By the way my maternal ancestors all come from St Abbs/Coldingham area. I know of Dicksons but have none in my tree. My ancestors were mainly Wilsons.
Rae

Offline autumnal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 February 15 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rae

Thank you for taking me as far as you have. I'll make a list of events that I might find in a newspaper then, as you say, take one month's subscription to findmypast.
since I have Wilsons sprinkled in my Dickson tree and my Hood tree, I can't believe that there is no link between us somewhere. I'll send you a personal email. I presume I just address it to Rae and it will get to you?
In the mean time, I'll wait a couple of days in case you reply again then I'll mark this topic as closed.

Best wishes

Clare

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 February 15 21:53 GMT (UK) »
It will be interesting to see if we can find a link in out trees. I have sent you a private message.
Rae

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 May 15 13:24 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Heritage hub in Hawick - they have the Southern Reporter on film & do research at a cost

Also try the Borders Family History Society - they do research at a reasonable cost and the there is also the Eyemouth Museum might be able to help with research - hold quite alot on the Berwickshire coast (their also a charity so there be a cost involved).

Worth a try