Author Topic: Who holds details regarding MI's/ Burials of the Teviothead Cemeteries  (Read 3108 times)

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who holds details regarding MI's/ Burials of the Teviothead Cemeteries
« on: Wednesday 04 February 15 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, have been back reading some old letters I got many years ago. Seems I have some family buried in the Teviothead Cemetery (understand their is 2 but no idea which ones my family is in)
Have been on the BFHS site and also search of Google but cannot find if
1. Have the MI's been transcribed ?
2. Who holds records regarding the MI's and burials in these grounds that I could contact.

I have no idea of how my cousin (many years ago now) came to know that the MILLER family was buried in the Teviothead Cemetery.
Any help in locating these records would be appreciated.
regards Ailsa

Offline epfedin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Who holds details regarding MI's/ Burials of the Teviothead Cemeteries
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 February 15 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ailsa

Borders FHS haven't recorded the MI'S at Teviothead yet but have done a bit of background research.

What are the dates of death/burial?  The graveyard is split in 2 , the most recent burials are beside the church, the older burials just across the road.  If it is post- Victorian, Scottish Borders Council should have details of the burials, and the exact location of the lairs.  The contact details are at http://www.scotborders.gov.uk/info/648/death-funerals_and_cremations/724/cemeteries

If you give me the names / dates, I'll have a look at the headstones next time I'm down there.

Elma

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 February 15 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elma

Many thanks for your reply. According to my cousins details given to me years ago, she states that the following were buried in the Teviothead Cemetery.
I have both the death certificates but of course it is past the time when the burial details were recorded and so far I have not found details in the newspapers that I have access to.
James MILLER died 5 Jan 1887, Loughburnfoot, Teviothead, Roxburghshire he was aged 90 or close to 91.
His wife Euphemia MILLER (Wintrup) died 23 June 1893, Branxholm Brae Cottage, Hawick, Roxburghshire, she was aged 81
I have been looking for their burial place as have been lucky to find some of the other families with the help of this list and other contacts, so would be nice to know if James and Euphemia are buried at the Teviothead Cemetery or not. I have no idea where my cousin got this information from, she did not supply source material and this was written back in the 1990's.

I will follow up with the link you have given me, I just did not know what was available, if anything still existed etc. Would appreciate a look for them next time you are there. Let me know if you need any further information.
kind regards Ailsa

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 February 15 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks goes to Elma, who has taken the time to go to the Cemetery and check details for me. I received a wonderful photo of the Headstone which is in the Old Cemetery of Teviothead. She is also going to see about getting this cemetery transcribed which is wonderful as it has not been done before. I am very thankful for her help and time.
kind regards Ailsa

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 February 15 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Ailsac  I am told that the Heritage Hub at Hawick have some Mis for Teviothead.
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders