Author Topic: ‘Llanego Estate in the Parish of Blethva, Radnor.’  (Read 5157 times)

Offline EHDD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
‘Llanego Estate in the Parish of Blethva, Radnor.’
« on: Thursday 05 February 15 21:11 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to clarify the whereabouts of the above Estate which is mentioned in the Will of my ancestor David Jenkins of Presteign in the County of Radnor who died in 1747 or thereabouts and whose Will dated 4 May 1745 was proved at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury on 29 July 1747.
As far as I can tell Blethva is an anglicised version of Bleddfa but Llanego is more problematic. The Will is a transcript of the original and not knowing whether it was the practice to dictate the original Will to the clerk making the copy or whether the clerk worked directly from the original it is difficult to know whether Llanego was transcribed as such in the original Will or is a result of the clerk’s simplified phonetic rendering of possibly Llangunllo.
David Jenkins was a man of some means he left a total of £200 to be split between his three sons. His eldest son, who had presumably inherited the estate, was required under the terms of the Will to pay the amounts to his three brothers when they reached the age of 21. David Jenkins’ stock holding, as one might expect, consisted of sheep, cattle and horses.
Any thoughts or ideas on a possible location for Llanego will be gratefully received. 

Helen

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Llanego Estate in the Parish of Blethva, Radnor.’
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 February 15 23:23 GMT (UK) »

Offline EHDD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 February 15 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Please see attached extract from David Jenkins' will with the word Llanego underlined.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 February 15 15:55 GMT (UK) »
The national archives lists a probate lawsuit, Jenkins and James v fencott concerning the late David Jenkins of presteign,  dated 1802, could be his sons will.

Otherwise I am clutching at straws, I can see nothing on large scale maps, old or new.

How do you interpret the word before Llanego in the will?

Mike

Offline EHDD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 February 15 20:00 GMT (UK) »

Mike, the words before Llanego are 'that is called'. His son's will was proved in 1801 and I do have a copy of this.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 February 15 20:42 GMT (UK) »
More clutching at straws, I wonder if it should be   Llan-y-go, there is a glog hill just north of bleddfa,the  o is accented so might alter the pronunciation

Mike

Offline EHDD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 February 15 14:14 GMT (UK) »
I have checked an old 1 inch to the Mile O.S. Map and can confirm that there is a 'Glog Hill approximately due east of Bleddfa. There also appears to be a track leading in a generally north easterly direction from the A488 to the east of Bleddfa at Dol-Llugan over Glog Hill towards the site of an unnamed 'grange' due south of Griffin Lloyd. The 'grange' is alongside the River Lugg so would provide adequate watering for stock rearing. I agree that Llanego is most likely a corruption of Llanyglog and perhaps this was the name of the grange.