Author Topic: SENNETT - unexpected DNA result - descendant of Jepthah Sennett  (Read 3230 times)

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
SENNETT - unexpected DNA result - descendant of Jepthah Sennett
« on: Saturday 07 February 15 10:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm the project administrator of the Sinnott/Sennett surname DNA project at familytreeDNA and have just had a fairly unexpected DNA result for a Cornish SENNETT test (descendant of Jephthah Sennett of St Michael's Mount.    The result is suggesting (but not conclusive) that Sennetts of Cornwall may be from the same origin as Sinnotts of Co Wexford.   

Sennetts of Cornwall go back (on paper) as far as Jephthah Sennett, b about 1687 (but probably not born in Cornwall) and lived in St Michaels Mount.

Sinnotts of Co Wexford trace back to the first arrival of their purported forbear (Synad/Synod) to Co Wexford in the 12th century, coming from the Flemish Community in Wales.   

If there is indeed a common ancestor between the Cornish Sennetts and these Irish Sinnotts, then the possibilities include: either Jephthah Sennett himself was from an Irish family and came from Ireland to St Michaels Mount sometime after about 1700, OR one of Jephthahs ancestors came from Ireland and the family lived somewhere else unknown for one or more generations before Jephthah himself arrived in St Michaels Mount, OR the common ancestor was as far back as Flemish community in Wales, and Jephthah is descended from him or a Welsh Sinnett/Sinnott who has the same common Flemish ancestor as the Co Wexford Sinnotts, or of course, its a completely random result and there is no connection.

What I really need right now is a lot more S-NN-T DNA tests done, and in particular another male Sennett descendant of Jephthah Sennett to join the DNA project to verify this first DNA result.  It would need to be someone who can show a direct father-son line back to Jephthah (i.e. not a Sennett who has taken his name from a female Sennett at any point). If anyone can help put me in touch with someone please send me a message, or just get them to join the Sennett/Sinnott project at familytreeDNA.com - the recommended test is the Y-DNA37.

Also if anyone knows of any Welsh male SINNETT descendants who would also be prepared to join the DNA project that would be excellent, as it would help develop a genetic tree for Sennett/Sinnott/Sinnett that would be valuable in sorting out links and branches of the tree.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: SENNETT - unexpected DNA result - descendant of Jepthah Sennett
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Corinne, I'm in the Cornwall project but not the right surname. ;)

You have probably searched trees at Anc'y, but I wonder whether you have tried Genes R. There are numerous people there with trees that have Sinnetts born in Wales in the last few decades ... a good half dozen+ adult men. Message me if you'd like directions if you're not familiar with the site. It could be worth contacting the tree owners to enquire.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?