Author Topic: John McDowell and Helen (Nellie) McKay  (Read 6771 times)

Offline Karen Murray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McDowell and Helen (Nellie) McKay
« on: Sunday 08 February 15 16:37 GMT (UK) »
I am new to this site looking for information on my great grandparents.  John McDowell and Helen McKay, both originally from Portrush, Northern Ireland.  I know they eloped to Scotland on 1899, I would be interested to find out from the Irish census or voters roll, any information of where they actually lived in Portrush before they eloped, as is am planning a holiday to Portrush this summer and would love to visit where they lived.  I believed my great grandfather worked as a gardener, sorry don't have much more information.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John McDowell and Helen (Nellie) McKay
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 February 15 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Did they stay in Scotland? if so you should be able to find them in 1901 and 1911 Scottish census.

Difficult to find the correct people without more detail. Since they married in Scotland their marriage certificate should list their ages and both sets of parents. Those details will hopefully allow us to help you find birth records, families in 1901 and 1911 Irish census records and possibly other connections.

I live not far from Portrush which is in Co. Antrim (not Armagh). If you could post more details here then there are lots of local resources to check.

Note: Helen is commonly used in Scotland but Ellen is more often used in Ireland.

Added- only complete census for Ireland are 1901 and 1911 (both online and free), voters lists not online- valuation revision books are also online free but listings are by address (townland or street) rather than name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Karen Murray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 February 15 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Did they stay in Scotland? if so you should be able to find them in 1901 and 1911 Scottish census.

Difficult to find the correct people without more detail. Since they married in Scotland their marriage certificate should list their ages and both sets of parents. Those details will hopefully allow us to help you find birth records, families in 1901 and 1911 Irish census records and possibly other connections.

I live not far from Portrush which is in Co. Antrim (not Armagh). If you could post more details here then there are lots of local resources to check.

Note: Helen is commonly used in Scotland but Ellen is more often used in Ireland.

Added- only complete census for Ireland are 1901 and 1911 (both online and free), voters lists not online- valuation revision books are also online free but listings are by address (townland or street) rather than name.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 February 15 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Just type your message in the box and click on post (don't hit 'quote'), Karen

Offline Karen Murray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 February 15 21:26 GMT (UK) »
I am new to this site looking for information on my great grandparents.  John McDowell and Helen McKay, both originally from Portrush, Northern Ireland.  I know they eloped to Scotland on 1899, I would be interested to find out from the Irish census or voters roll, any information of where they actually lived in Portrush before they eloped, as is am planning a holiday to Portrush this summer and would love to visit where they lived.  I believed my great grandfather worked as a gardener, sorry don't have much more information.
]I am adding some additional information which I have collected from their marriage certificate.  Helen McKay born in 1879 her parents were William and Catherine McKay nee Lochrie, her father was a agricultural labourer.  John McDowell born 1877, parents were Daniel and Mary McDowell nee McBride, and I am sure they were from Portrush, County Antrim.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 February 15 21:34 GMT (UK) »
John McDowell born 14 Apr.1875 Dervock district (Co.Antrim)- parents Daniel McDowell & Mary McBride.

Other children- (might be others, haven't finished checking)
William born 24 July 1868 Dervock district
Hannah born 28 June 1870 Co.Antrim
Hugh born 12 Nov,1872 Dervock district

1901 census- 7 Westbank Terrace, Renfrew, Renfrewshire, Scotland
  John McDowall, 26, born Ireland, carter for building contractor
  wife Helen McDowall, 22, born Ireland
  son William McDowall, 1, born Partick Lanarkshire

more to follow...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 February 15 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Daniel McDowell, son of Alexander, and Mary McBride, daughter of David, married 1851 Ballymoney district-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGC7-ZGK
GRONI has date as 15 Nov.1851 and groom's name McDonel
Since civil registration of births didn't start until 1864 there were likely other children born 1851-1863.

Hannah born 6 May 1867 Ballymoney district
William born 24 July 1868 Dervock district
Hannah born 28 June 1870 Co.Antrim
Hugh born 12 Nov,1872 Dervock district
John born 14 Apr.1875 Dervock district
Margaret born 24 Oct.1877 Ballymoney district

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 February 15 22:08 GMT (UK) »
McDowell is quite a common surname in the area which can make them harder to trace. Yours seem to be Presbyterian and as far as I am aware, the McDowells of Kilmoyangie (Reformed Presbyterian are not related).

Old Age Pension claim: MCDOWELL Alexander [parents] Daniel MCDOWELL Mary MCDOWELL [lived 1851?] Benvardin Dunluce Dunluce Lwr. Antrim 1917 - Agent, Cherryfield Cottage, Bellasis, Coleraine, Antrim.
http://www.ireland-genealogy.com/view_category/Page-328.html

Possibly related?
Alexander McDowell, Benvardin-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Benvardin/Benvardin/128909
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Dervock/Livery_Upper/945578

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 February 15 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Daniel McDowell and Mary McBride married in Ballymoney Civil Registrars Office on 15 Nov 1851.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim