Author Topic: German Jew Immigration  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
German Jew Immigration
« on: Monday 09 February 15 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to find anything at all on a Dr E Kretschmer.  (There is a gentleman on Wiki, but I don't think it is him).

My Dr E Kretschmer was a German Jew who apparently fled Nazi Germany with his wife and family during WW2 to England.

Very vague I'm afraid, but I have absolutely nothing else (not even a first name, just initials and the fact he was a doctor).

Any slight help would be appreciated.

Mo

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: German Jew Immigration
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 17:23 GMT (UK) »
While German citizens were interned in WWII, refugees were exempted.
The www.movinghere.org.uk archive has records of those exempted (mostly Jewish).  There are a couple of hits for Kretschmer (but neither is E. Kretschmer or a Dr).

However, I think one of these might be related to yours  - "J.K.M." (b. 1916 so there is a slight possibility he may still be living).  He was b. Munchen (Munich), and resident Hartford, Cheshire, in 1940 when he applied for exemption.  Notes say he was "not a refugee in the strict sense" but was Jewish, his mother and father had been driven out of Germany, and his sympathies were thought to be entirely British.

A newspaper article for "J. M. Kretschmer"'s marriage in the UK during WWII shows his father as Dr. E. Kretschmer  (it is not clear to me if Dr E. Kretschmer was actually in the UK).

http://www.gda-old.bayern.de/findmittel/ead/findbuch.php?fb=830&lft=58&rgt=101341&id=53
 - I wonder if this might be him?
 Kretschmer Dr., Erich  b. 14 July 1887 Lissa  (Leszno, Poland)
wife "Philippine Bud." b. 12 June 1890 Dusseldorf
he was a chemist, Jewish.  He had been investigated by the Munich police, and emigrated to Switzerland in 1937.

https://www.wiewaswie.nl shows that in 1939 Dr Erich, his wife, and a daughter b. 1921 ("Bazel" - maybe Basel, Switzerland?) were resident in Den Haag (The Hague) in Holland.  His son may have been in the UK by then.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jorose

Thank you so much for all your hard work.  I did actually get the name Dr E Kretschmer from that marriage record you mention and as I say, that is all I know.

I shall certainly investigate further with this Dr Erich Kretschmer.  At least I now have something to work on.

Thanks again.

Mo

Offline robertfranklin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 June 19 14:31 BST (UK) »
Erich Kretschmer married Philomena Bud (not Phillipine). He was a chemist. He had two sons and one daughter. One of the sons, Emmanuel Kretschmer was a mountaineer killed on the alps about 1953. 

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 June 19 12:09 BST (UK) »
Erich Kretschmer married Philomena Bud (not Phillipine). He was a chemist. He had two sons and one daughter. One of the sons, Emmanuel Kretschmer was a mountaineer killed on the alps about 1953.

Thank you so much.  I thought Phillipine was a strange name.  Philomena makes so much more sense.

I did know about Emmanuel Kretschmer.  Such a tragedy.

Thanks again.

Mo

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 June 19 13:08 BST (UK) »
While German citizens were interned in WWII, refugees were exempted.
The www.movinghere.org.uk archive has records of those exempted (mostly Jewish). 

My grandfather who fled Vienna after Kristallnacht was interned on Isle of Man for some time.

Have you looked at Jewishgen? https://www.jewishgen.org/databases/

Have you tried the Jewish Chronicle archives?

The National Archive should have records if your gent took British Naturalisation.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.