Author Topic: Another "which dna test?" thread...  (Read 669 times)

Offline ladyynara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Another "which dna test?" thread...
« on: Monday 09 February 15 19:17 GMT (UK) »
I currently live in the USA but was born and grew up in England.  I have traced both sides of my family back to the 1700's and although a lot of them ended up in London, the furthest back ancestors I have found are from Essex, Berkshire, Sussex and Devon.  There are a few Irish names (and one definite born in Ireland ancestor) in the family but I have not come across anyone else that is not from the south of England so far.
I'm curious as to what dna testing will tell me as a female.  Both my dad and I have very dark almost black hair and extremely dark brown eyes, but pale skin. I was wondering if testing would give me clues as to the origin of that?  I'm not clear what other information it will give me?
I was thinking of taking the ancestry test mostly for ease and since I already use that as my primary family tree, but am willing to keep an open mind as to other options!
London: Brown, Blaney, Rose, Haine, Tregunno, Harley, Cox
Devon: Willis, Phare, Stedwill, Edwards, Bissett
Also Shelton USA & UK and Schmidt Germany

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another "which dna test?" thread...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another "which dna test?" thread...
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have a look at my thread - there is pretty good information there - Ruskie's reply was very helpful to me.

Nesta