Author Topic: maryhill girls refuge and reformatory  (Read 4926 times)

Offline wesselsdawn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
maryhill girls refuge and reformatory
« on: Tuesday 10 February 15 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know where to email or write to request inmate records from 1860's -18 70's from Lochburn Maryhill workhouse ?
Ancestor there in 1871, orphaned, sent to Canada.
Clark,Bacon

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: maryhill girls refuge and reformatory
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 07:23 GMT (UK) »
You might get more interest if you indicate that this relates to Scotland, and Glasgow in particular.
You could try here:

http://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

They are very busy and make take some time before responding. Have a look at their guides to records.

Also:

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/IS/Scotland.shtml

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline wesselsdawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 05:07 GMT (UK) »
 :)Thank you for helping the newbie. I have tried the sites you suggested,none seem to have records for the time frame 1865-1875. Don't know how my ancestor ended up in Glasgow, Lanarkshire  her father was supposedly the manager at Falkirk  iron works in 1850's.  Hoping her inmate records give me names of mother and I  can trace father also. She came to Canada with photos of them both.
Thanks again for your help !
Clark,Bacon

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 11:44 GMT (UK) »
The institution at Lochburn wasn't a workhouse (or a poorhouse as it would have been called here in Scotland).
The Lochburn (Maryhill) institution was the Magdalene, an infamous place nowadays, portrayed in the 2002 Peter Mullan film "The Magdalene Sisters". It was a home for "fallen women", usually young girls who were deemed to be "at risk". The girls were admitted at their own request and application, although many were encouraged by clergymen and others to apply.
Do not use the 2002 film as "gospel" about the Magdalene Institutions in Scotland (they existed in Ireland and the 2002 story is set there).
If you want to know the true history read "Philanthropy in Victorian Scotland" by Olive Checkland, ISBN 0 85976 041 3. Published by John Donald Publishers Ltd. 138 St Stephen Street, Edinburgh.

Back to your ancestor - As far as I know, no records for the 19th century Magdalene Institutions have survived (or are available to the public) but there may well be a poor relief claim for her in the Barony parish records. Try contacting Glasgow City Archives at
http://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/ExploreRecords/Pages/Poor-Law.aspx
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline wesselsdawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 February 15 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for your help. Disappointed to hear there are no records for Magdalene institutions.  There were atleast  a dozen girls, inmates, there on the 1871 census record I  found.  Do you think they were accommodating some of the girls that were set to go to Canada ? My ancestor was shipped to Canada but doesn't show up in the 'home children ' groups. I have no clue where to search from here. Would there have been a hospital that her mother might have been in that sent Sarah to Maryhill when her mother died ?
Clark,Bacon

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 February 15 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Have you see this?:

http://jubilation.uwaterloo.ca/~marj/genealogy/homeadd.html

The suggestion here seems to be that the Industrial School and the Magdalene were one and the same place:

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/index.php?a=district&s=item&key=dYToxOntpOjA7czo4OiJNYXJ5aGlsbCI7fQ==&pg=101

There's also a mention here:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=WaqNAQAAQBAJ&pg=PA385&lpg=PA385&dq=maryhill+industrial+school+canada&source=bl&ots=rdVAB1DSSA&sig=oF8PN428r0y9wQk8B1P5zE5rGNo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=B3TcVOzHBYvvaMapgcgG&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=maryhill%20industrial%20school%20canada&f=false

That book may mention sources that could provide an avenue for further research? I appreciate that there's a possibilty that none of this is new to you.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline wesselsdawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 February 15 00:41 GMT (UK) »
 :)Can't  begin to thank you for the resources and the help. My family has searched for 20 years and I am just  trying to help get past brick walls. So many more online resources now, just which my grandmother was still here, if we are successful in tracing Sarah's parents. I'm not giving up until I find them. You all have been very helpful and I'm very appreciative.
Clark,Bacon

Offline bonniejen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
@wesseldawn I have also been searching for information on my great aunt who mysteriously disappeared from her home in Glasgow at the age of 13 in 1897. I contacted The Mitchell Library, Scotland’s People and NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde to see if they had any information on her, as I suspect she may have been sent to Lochburn Hospital or a similar institution in Glasgow. Unfortunately, no one seems to have any information/records on these young women.

This was the response I received from the NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde.

“Thank you for your enquiry. I'm sorry to tell you that NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde does not hold patient records for either the Magdalene Institution or the Lock Hospital.

The Lock Hospital had an unusual administrative history as it (like the Magdalene Institution) was founded by subscription and was never part of the mainstream hospital provision which would eventually become part of the National Health Service. It was originally founded to treat venereal disease, but latterly it treated various other women's conditions as well. I understand that the hospital was taken over by the military during WW2, but subsequently when the civilian authorities were given back control of the building it was decided to close it down, and at this point patient records and so forth seem not to have been kept. This is why I am unable to advise you about where to look.

I don't know of any surviving patient records for the Glasgow Magdalene Institution either, I'm afraid. The University of Glasgow Special Collections ( http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/specialcollections/ ) has some holdings relating to the institution, but I believe they are restricted to printed matter such as annual reports.

I'm very sorry not to be able to offer more assistance”.

If my Great Aunt was indeed admitted to any of these infamous institutions, I’m afraid I will never know her outcome.

Offline wesselsdawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 14:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks bonnie jen. Don't know if census records could help with your ancestor that is how I found mine at Maryhill. Searched ship passenger lists found some sets of sisters shipped to Canada on St David in 1872 who were in Maryhill in 1871. I believe my ancestor's mom died in or shortly after childbirth and their stepfather remarried in 1869 and all the children were sent away or went into service except the baby b. Sept,1868. Hit same dead ends for records you have!
Clark,Bacon