Author Topic: PayPal - possible phishing ?  (Read 8603 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
PayPal - possible phishing ?
« on: Tuesday 10 February 15 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I opened a PayPal account in Nov 2014 and one of the steps was that, after I'd put my bank details in, they paid 1p into that account so that I could then repeat the 4-digit code that went with the 1p back to them to complete the registration process.   I did that and received confirmation that all was well.  All my email communications were from service [-- at --] paypal.co.uk.

Today I've received an email from paypal [-- at --] e.paypal.co.uk saying that my account opening isn't quite complete and I need to find the 1p on my bank statement, log into my account (using the link in this email) and "follow the steps to confirm my bank account".

Am I right to be suspicious, do you think?

Shall I just ignore it, or try reporting it to someone?  Perhaps I could forward the message to service [-- at --] paypal.co.uk to see what they say?

Any ideas, please?

Thanks
STG

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PayPal - possible phishing ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, "EVERYTIME" you receive a message from paypal it should be addressed to you by name, if it is not or you are in anyway suspicious you should forward it to paypal, I think the address is "spoof at paypal" or something along those lines.
Hope that helps.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 10:50 GMT (UK) »
It is addressed to me by name, but rather than finding that a comfort, I find it worrying  :-\

STG

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Paypal mail should always start with your name, if it just says "Dear paypal member/customer/user" or anything along those lines then it is more than likely a scam, however please don't rely on my say so, if you are in any doubt at all then forward it to paypal, they are really good with anything like that.

Frank.

ADDED: I think that they need to know that you are indeed the account holder and that you have access to the account, you could always log into your account NOT using the link in the email and see if anything is mentioned on your account summary/overview.
But as said if at all suspicious then forward it to PayPal.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I've forwarded it to spoof [-at-] paypal.com and had an acknowledgement.

Today is obviously my day for carp.  Just had someone on the phone claiming to be from the National Accident Helpline about "... a car accident we had in the last three years."  Nope!  Try some other sucker.  >:(

STG

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Rather than reply to that email, I would log directly into paypal from your browser and see if there are any messages there.

The e.paypal.co.uk ought to be a sub-domain of their official site, but I would be suspicious too.

Mike

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 11:12 GMT (UK) »
I googled that e. address and your question has been asked lots of times on different forums, and it's hard to get a clear answer.

This one http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=245217  seems pretty clear that it's a fake though, and the request for you to "update your bank details" sounds like pretty standard phishing to me.

Mike

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Rather than reply to that email, I would log directly into paypal from your browser and see if there are any messages there.

Mike

My thoughts exactly Mike.

Frank.