Author Topic: PayPal - possible phishing ?  (Read 8606 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: PayPal - possible phishing ?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Somewhat ironic that today is Safer Internet Day, eh what?

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 13:41 GMT (UK) »
If the phishers are now addressing e-mails with our names, how are we to know whether they are genuine or not?  PayPal often send me e-mails suggesting I look at my account - usually when I've actually used it.  I tend to delete them and go direct to PayPal.

My bank - (which only tends to send e-mails with info - no link - or a message saying my account is ready to look at, does that mean some people only check their account monthly?) always quotes my e-mail address at the top of their e-mails.  I assume that phishers will find that out soon too.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly, I've just received an e-mail from PayPal, subject "View your recent transactions now".  I tend to think it is genuine as although the e-mail address used is mine, it is actually addressed to my husband, using his Christian and surnames.  I doubt any phisher would know that's how my PayPal account is set up.

At the bottom of the e-mail it states:
How do I know this is not a Spoof email?

Spoof or ‘phishing’ emails tend to have generic greetings such as "Dear PayPal member". Emails from PayPal will always contain your full name.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 15:06 GMT (UK) »

At the bottom of the e-mail it states:
How do I know this is not a Spoof email?

Spoof or ‘phishing’ emails tend to have generic greetings such as "Dear PayPal member". Emails from PayPal will always contain your full name.

The email I received (the one that I started this thread about) said exactly the same, but until I hear back from spoof I shall remain unconvinced.

STG

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I received a similar Paypal Email today noted the address was paypal@e.paypal.co.uk a google search gives differing views as to its authenticity?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I received a similar Paypal Email today noted the address was paypal@e.paypal.co.uk a google search gives differing views as to its authenticity?

Keyboard86

I think you'll find its a genuine email address.  I don't tend to keep emails from Paypal but I get one each month suggesting that I review the transactions on my account.  The earliest I have is from Sept 2014 and is from the e.paypal.co.uk email address (although it shows as just Paypal in the header of the email, if you hold your mouse over it then the full address shows).

As to the original email received by STG, it sounds like normal activity by Paypal when you add a bank account or credit card initially to the account.  I've had my Paypal account for quite a few years but I know when I added the CC to it originally, the last step was to use the code from the credit card statement to verify the account on Paypal.

I think you'll find its genuine.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 15:40 GMT (UK) »
As to the original email received by STG, it sounds like normal activity by Paypal when you add a bank account or credit card initially to the account.  I've had my Paypal account for quite a few years but I know when I added the CC to it originally, the last step was to use the code from the credit card statement to verify the account on Paypal.

I think you'll find its genuine.

BUT ... I've already verified my bank account (back in Nov 2014 when I set up the account) and when I log into PayPal (NOT using the link in today's email), it says that my bank account is verified. 

That's what makes me so suspicious about today's email asking me to do it [again].

STG

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 15:41 GMT (UK) »
BUT ... I've already verified my bank account (back in Nov 2014 when I set up the account) and when I log into PayPal (NOT using the link in today's email), it says that my bank account is verified. 

That's what makes me so suspicious about today's email asking me to do it [again].

STG

Ok fair enough, I just wondered whether you had actually entered the code from the statement already or not.  Not everyone has immediate access to their bank statements, my parents won't use online banking.  If you hadn't, that may
explain the email.

Edit - sorry just re-read your original post and you have said you'd entered the code at the time.

Its also possible its genuine but been sent out by paypal in error.

Edit If you know how to view the email headers, its worth checking to see if it looks like it actually originated from Paypal.  The way to do this though varies in different email programs.  If it wasn't from Paypal, it should be obvious as the originating address amongst the various lines of code will be different - in which case Paypal's e.paypal email address will have been spoofed..
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 16:06 GMT (UK) »
I had an email from Pay-pal a couple of weeks ago which I binned. I had a reminder from them the other day saying I'd failed to reply to it. Trouble is that I don't have a Pay-pal account and never have had one.

Trust nobody, reply to no-one!