Author Topic: RUTHERFORD-COOTEHILL  (Read 4269 times)

Offline donkeykong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RUTHERFORD-COOTEHILL
« on: Tuesday 10 February 15 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Looking for descendents of John Rutherford from Cootehill,Cavan. I think he died there and his family moved to Stirlingshirebetween 1840-50

Offline Twinshoes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RUTHERFORD-COOTEHILL
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 July 19 02:11 BST (UK) »
I am a direct descendant of John Rutherford, Cootehill, Co. Cavan, Ireland.  He would have been born about 1795, location unknown.  He is my father's 2nd great grandfather.  Robert Rutherford, born about 1824 (location unknown but assumed Cootehill), is my father's 1st great grandfather.  He stayed in Ireland.  Perhaps they all stayed in Ireland and the family that immigrated to Scotland in the late 1840's was not this same family?  There are many discrepancies as to what really happened here.  I have a baptism record of Martha Rutherford, B1826, Drumgreen (just a kilometer or two outside Cootehill Town), father John Rutherford, mother Rebecca.  I have a baptism record of John James Rutherford B1830, Drumgreen, father John Rutherford, no mother listed.  I have a Confirmation record for Elizabeth Rutherford, Drumgreen, 1826.

I have several kits on all the DNA websites.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 July 19 07:24 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Twinshoes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 July 19 14:47 BST (UK) »
yes, that Robert Rutherford that married Mary Jamison (Widow Jamieson) in 1964, is my 2nd great grandfather.  Most of those listed are my ancestors.  There are only 3 that I do not know - Letitia Rutherford, Mathew (McCauley) Rutherford, and the death of Margaret Rutherford.  I have seen their names many times in my searches but maybe I will order the actual transcript of the records as they might yield a bit more information.  I did that for wedding Registry of Robert in 1964 and that's how I know "John" Rutherford is his father.  How I would love to know who is mother was....I'd give an eye tooth for that info.  I also found out that Mary Gray (who is the Widow Jamieson) came from Drumnagran.  Her father was Robert Gray, a shoe maker.  Funny, my father is a shoe maker in his spare time!  Anything else you might know, I would love to hear.  Thank you!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 August 19 10:23 BST (UK) »

I also found out that Mary Gray (who is the Widow Jamieson) came from Drumnagran.  Her father was Robert Gray, a shoe maker. 

From the 1864 marriage which you have, the residences of Robert Rutherford and Mary Anne Jamison are Caldry?, parish of Drumgoon and Drumnagran, parish of Killinsherdany (sic) i.e. Kildrumsherdan.

https://www.townlands.ie/cavan/drumgoon/
https://www.townlands.ie/cavan/tullygarvey/kildrumsherdan/tullyvin-west/drumnagran/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 August 19 10:35 BST (UK) »
I am a direct descendant of John Rutherford, Cootehill, Co. Cavan, Ireland.  He would have been born about 1795, location unknown.  He is my father's 2nd great grandfather.  Robert Rutherford, born about 1824 (location unknown but assumed Cootehill), is my father's 1st great grandfather.  He stayed in Ireland.  Perhaps they all stayed in Ireland and the family that immigrated to Scotland in the late 1840's was not this same family?  There are many discrepancies as to what really happened here.  I have a baptism record of Martha Rutherford, B1826, Drumgreen (just a kilometer or two outside Cootehill Town), father John Rutherford, mother Rebecca.  I have a baptism record of John James Rutherford B1830, Drumgreen, father John Rutherford, no mother listed.  I have a Confirmation record for Elizabeth Rutherford, Drumgreen, 1826.

I have several kits on all the DNA websites.

Is this your kit?

John Rutherford,

born ca. 1800

John Rutherford married Rebecca Martin in 1824 in Drumgreen, Drumgoon Parish in County Cavan, Ireland. Their son Robert was born in Cootehill and died there in 1886. Robert's son John was born in 1864, emigrated to New York City in 1898, and eventually returned to Cootehill with his wife and four children.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 August 19 10:56 BST (UK) »
Is the John whose death was registered by his daughter in law Rose one of yours? Might lead to living descendants with knowledge of family history.

Of those in Cootehill District have you looked for their Marriages 1845 onwards?  Martha for example.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

adjust Search criteria as needed.

Offline BlondieSM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 April 20 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm near Cootehill

There was a shoe shop Cootehill in 1980.s / 90.s I don't know if these same Rutherfords they moved away to Cavan town about 20 KM.

You could email our local Cavan paper the Anglo Celt they will publish a letter for you.There will be a small cost but paper is popular and someone will know who your looking for.

This is a closely knit rural community families here generations

Other option is contact Cavan Library they have genealogy Dept.

I'd try paper first

At moment paper and library may be closed ? Due to corona virus restrictions but you can try emailing them.

Best of Luck

S

Offline Twinshoes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 April 20 03:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks S - those Rutherford's who owned the shoe shop were first cousins of my father's.  Small world!  It's Thomas Rutherford who owned that shop and he is the one who first started this genealogy hunt looking into his paternal line.  I'm just carrying it on.  It's not easy now when trying to get back in time to 1850 and beyond.  I have looked through all the Celt issues for Rutherford and I have corresponded with the Cavan Library, where everyone is incredibly helpful but the records are almost non existent.  I've gone to the Church of Ireland who found what they could in their books.  But so much is still missing.  It's the graveyards I need next.  I wish I could get over there myself.  I need to check whereever people were buried that belonged to Church of Ireland from about 1800 - 1890.  Hope you are managing ok with this crazy pandemic.

Tina