Author Topic: RUTHERFORD-COOTEHILL  (Read 4260 times)

Offline BlondieSM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RUTHERFORD-COOTEHILL
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 April 20 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Tina

It's a small world !

I remember Rutherfords in town lovely people.

I'm Sorry I don't know which graveyards you'd want.....i just know the Catholic ones

St Michael's church is  Station Road Cootehill this is newest graveyard.

St Marys Middle Chapel which is about 4 KM outta town is older one.

Some of the shop owners Cootehill would be able tell you about churches if your around..They are very helpful.

V Reillys Main Street

or Hannigans Grocery.

Both in.Cootehill long time.Have Good knowledge of town.

There is a Mr Jonathan Smyth works Cavan library he would  know local area he writes various history articles for paper.

You could write email  Anglo Celt paper I do see occasional letters being published people looking ancestors.

Do.you know of a family called Murphy close to Cootehill they are related to Rutherfords who had shoe shop ( Tom).

I can get you more info I know the son to see.i haven't seen him ages but I would know their townland.

Oh this corona virus is surreal.We cannot go further than 2km.My job closed for few weeks.

Best Regards

S

Offline BlondieSM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 April 20 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Tina

I have been talking my parents.

I have found the McCauley link Cootehill .The lady was McCauley before marriage.
I know where house is...i thought she was Rutherford but I was wrong.She sadly passed away last year but her family are still here.

Let me know what info you need

Best Regards

S

Offline BlondieSM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 April 20 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Tina

Not sure if this info of use to you but ..

A Rutherford family was  living in Carolina Cootehill in 1911 census..

Mary Anne McGahan born 1871 New York married  a.John Rutherford.in 1898

Her parents are George & Anne McGahan Caldry Cootehill .Anne McGahans name was formerly Ryder or Markey

John Rutherford is listed as being born Drumgreen Dec 14 1864 but on census Carolina 1911 says he was born New York

John and Marys Anne's Rutherfords  children in 1911 census ( house number 11 )Carolina

John 10
Mary 9
George 7
Lizzie 6
Pierce 4
James 3
Thomas ? Baby

John Rutherford age 47 and Mary Anne Rutherford 40 in 1911  both listed as being born New York ?

Family listed as Roman Catholic on census

Mary Anne  Rutherford died aged 59 in 1931

Best Regards

S

Offline BlondieSM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 April 20 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Tina

I  only googled  Rutherford Carolina Cootehill as my dad mentioned when he was a child 1940.s a Rutherford man from Carolina had a machine for thrashing corn ..My Dad THINKS name was Jude Rutherford but it's over 70 years ago....

So i don't know if any decendants still in Carolina. Local Postman would know.

The only ones I knew were the people who had shop Cootehill.

Well that's everything I can find.

Best of Luck

S

Offline Twinshoes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 June 21 03:59 BST (UK) »
Hi G, I am so sorry to not see these replies last year.  My father was very sick just about that time and I guess I was consumed with that.  My father was Jude (John) Rutherford.  He would be the man who had the corn thrashing machine.  He probably built it himself because that was the kind of person he was.  He built everything. 

Is it possible that you can email me directly?  I dont know if I'm allowed to give email addresses on this site?

John Rutherford, B1864, was my father's grandfather.  He was def born in Cavan.  I believe it was Caldry and he was a neighbor of the McGahan's.  Mary Anne McGahan, his wife, was also def born there in Caldry.  The Census is wrong but it wouldn't be the first time. They did spend some years in New York and some of their children were born in NYC. 

I would like to know if Mary Anne McGahan's mother was a Ryder or a Markey however.  So if you have anything solid on that it would be appreciated.  I've seen it both ways in the records so she must have been a widow and remarried but her maiden name is what I would be after to get the bloodline.

Can you tell me more about the McCauley's.  You mentioned them briefly.  I think there was another Matthew McCauley in Cootehill, originally from Ballybay, spent years in New Zealand, and returned to Ireland, living in Cootehill.  He might have been a doctor.  His name was Rutherford as well and he was involved with Reid/Mayne/Brown's  - Presbyterian.

I'm really trying to go back pre1850.  That's my main goal.  I am looking for the family of Robert Rutherford, born about 1824, probably in Drumgreen.  He was John Rutherford's (1864) father.  And Robert's father was John Rutherford who would have been born about 1780 - 1800.  That's my main goal.  I don't know if an ad  in the Celt would help me with this.  It's the Protestant graveyard that might be better.   

The Murphy's are related to Tomas Rutherford's wife, Maura.  They are in touch with her and me too through the DNA sites.

Thanks for all your digging.  Let me know if I can email you.
Twinshoes
Twinshoes

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 June 21 07:32 BST (UK) »

Is it possible that you can email me directly?  I dont know if I'm allowed to give email addresses on this site?

The posting of e-mail addresses is forbidden here on RootsChat, but you can use the PM (Personal Message) system to exchange your e-mail addresses.

When logged in, just click on My Messages (in the dark brown bar at the top) and then click ‘Send a Message’.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 June 21 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Twinshoes

There is a 1868 birth listed for a Mary Anne McGahan, showing her mother’s maiden name as Markey.  See:-

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1868/03452/2267345.pdf

Cheers

Offline Twinshoes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 June 21 16:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kiltaglassan!

Thank you LH!

Offline BlondieSM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 June 21 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
Just seeing your messages been off this site for months back working full time
I don't have anymore info
Your best bet is publish letter Anglo Celt
It definately works as it did for me
Do you want me to drop note to Mr Murphy the son ?
I'm not far away I have send him card anyway his father passed away recently RIP
I see you mention Drumgreen
If you email Johnathan Smyth Cavan library or Anglo Celt he will help.
His family are beside Drumgreen He will have knowledge of churches he just published a book on one of the Churches
There's McGahans right by Drumgreen  too neighbours so if Any you need me to drop a note I can
All these families are here generations they know locality
I don't came here 1980
My dad is originally Cootehill
Interesting my father remembers Jude Rutherford
Best Regards
SM