Author Topic: Batchcote  (Read 3135 times)

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Batchcote
« on: Tuesday 10 February 15 21:37 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 census in Manchester shows what I believe to be my GGG grandparents John and Mary Simpkin and children.

Mary's place of birth is given as "Batchcote", no county given but seems to be a place in/near Church Stretton.  She is aged 67 so born 1783-4. I also think I have found their marriage in Lancashire 1820 and that her maiden name is Ashwood.   

Doing a search for a Mary ASHWOOD born Shropshire at that time I found one in 1785, and another in 1781, both in Broseley.  Now I knowing nothing about Shropshire and have never heard of Broseley (though it seems to be a large parish by the number of entries). I wonder if someone can tell me if being christened at Broseley is compatible with being born at Batchcote?
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Batchcote
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Google shows Batchcote as Church Stretton.  The AA Route planner shows Batchcote to Broseley as approx 26 miles and Church Stretton to Broseley approx 27 miles
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Their son Elijah married Susannah Irwin 19.2.1854 at Manchester Cathedral

Joseph married Sarah Mills 29.5.1853 also at the Cathedral

The 1841 also shows John & Mary had a daughter Amelia aged 15 and Joseph called one of his daughters Amelia

Amelia's marriage

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2335-BW3
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carole, Amelia (actually aged 18 or 19 in 1841) is my gg grandmother so I have that marriage, and I am trying to verify for certain that her mother was Mary Ashwood and where she came from.  The marriage of John and Mary in 1820 in Caton, Lancs was by licence and if I could find an allegation that might have parents' names or some other information.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Genuki shows a Batchcott in Shropshire which could be the same place http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SAL/RichardsCastle/index.html

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline DocRampton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 September 16 18:44 BST (UK) »
In regard to the Mary born in "Batchcote" who married John SIMPKIN; she was living with her son Elijah SIMPKIN and listed as a widow, in Lawrence, Essex, Massachusetts in 1859. Elijah and his wife Susannah (IRWIN), immigrated to Massachusetts arriving on 11 NOV 1854. Mary died 26 FEB 1859 in Lawrence, Essex, Massachusetts, of Paralysis, age 75, born in England, daughter of James and Mary (no surname given). Elijah was born 9 JAN 1826 in Manchester, Lancashire, England and died 22 MAY 1899 in Lawrence, Essex, Massachusetts. Susannah was born abt 1825 in Manchester, Lancashire, England and was the daughter of Arthur IRWIN. She died 15 FEB 1878 of heart disease at 45 Haverhill, Lawrence, Essex, Massachusetts. They had one daughter who married named Henrietta (Etta), who married George KNIGHT on 20 NOV 1879. Etta died 14 APR 1902 leaving 3 children.

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 October 16 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi DocRampton,

Very interested in your contribution.. Are you related to these Simpkins? 

Interesting to see that Elijah migrated to Massachusetts, and I've now found him and Susanna(h) on two censuses 1865 and 1870. 

The 1859 death record for Mary Simpkin doesn't have enough to guarantee it's the same Mary.  What record do you have that lists Mary living with Elijah?  That would confirm that she migrated too (together with her son? or later?).  And it's frustrating that there's no maiden surname on that death entry alongside parents' names James and Mary, to confirm that she was born Ashwood.

Offline DocRampton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 October 16 01:57 BST (UK) »
I am not directly related to this family. Susannah IRWIN who married Elijah SIMPKIN is from a family that married into my family and sometimes searching into extended families you find clues to your own, hence my following Elijah and Susannah to Massachusetts. While trying to figure out where "Batchcote" is located I found your post and recognized the names. From the Massachusetts City Directories, Lawrence 1859; "SIMPKINS, Mary, widow, boards (with) Elijah SIMPKINS". This was a clue linking Elijah and his mother but I could not find an immigration record for Mary and she wasn't on the same ship as Elijah and Susannah. There were not many people living in that part of Massachusetts with that surname so the chance of being related is pretty good. Plus I believe Mary's husband John died in the early 1850's so there is a good chance she followed her son to America. Elijah's brother Joseph had a large family who stayed in England but I never found Mary after the 1851 census.  It is sad that the surname of Mary's parents is not given at her death but it could be a help in finding her birth/chr in England. Good luck with your search. Best Regards, Scott.