Author Topic: Relationship advice please :-)  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Relationship advice please :-)
« on: Thursday 12 February 15 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi all...

In chronological order....

Imagine that Alice marries Bob. (Wife and husband)
Alice has a brother Charles. (Sister and brother)
Charles then has a son Donald. (Father and son)

So the relationship of Bob to Donald is uncle-in-law, commonly just called uncle.

Then imagine that Alice and Bob divorce.
Charles then has another son called Edward. (Father and son)

Is Edward related to Bob. If not, is Donald still related to Bob.

Bob then has a second marriage. He marries Fiona. They have a daughter Gina.

Is Gina related to Donald and/or Edward.

----

I'm tentatively saying that Gina is not related to Edward but she is Donald's ex-half first cousin-in-law.

Wondering what someone who know's what they're talking about thinks :-)

Thanks
Beg

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Relationship advice please :-)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 February 15 02:31 GMT (UK) »

"...ex-half first cousin-in-law".........seems unnecessarily awkward, and probably requiring further explanation.

If Gina was wanting to identify Donald and Edward, it might be more useful to name them as the nephews of Alice, her father's first wife?.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 February 15 02:34 GMT (UK) »
Bob has NO biological relationship to Charles, or Charles' son, Donald or Charles' son, Edward. 

The use of the honorific “Uncle Bob” by Donald is simply that, just an honorific. 

At no time was Donald or Edward formally related to Bob. 

Regardless of when Bob divorces Alice (Alice being the Aunt of both Donald and Edward BECAUSE she is a sibling of their Dad), Bob was not ever a blood relative of either Donald or Edward.

Whether Bob and Alice were married, or just co-habitating, there is no blood relationship between Bob and Donald and Edward.

Whether Bob formally married Fiona, or just co-habitates with Fiona, Fiona and Bob’s daughter Gina is not a blood relative of either Donald or Edward.      If you wish to give a label to an apparent relationship between Gina and Donald & Edward perhaps it would be best to say “Gina’s Dad was once married to the sister of Donald and Edward’s Dad”.

Cheers,  JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 February 15 02:40 GMT (UK) »
I am assuming of course that neither Bob nor Fiona is a blood relative to Alice and her brother Charles ;D  ;D or the mums of Donald or Edward  ;D  ;D  ;D
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 February 15 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: wivenhoe
"...ex-half first cousin-in-law".........seems unnecessarily awkward

Hello Wivenhoe... Forgot to add a smiley :)

---

Quote from: majm
The use of the honorific “Uncle Bob” by Donald is simply that, just an honorific. 
At no time was Donald or Edward formally related to Bob. 

Hello Majm... Thanks for the reply. I fully appreciate that Bob is not biologically related to Donald and Edward but is not "uncle-in-law" a formal (i.e genealogical) term. I would think that sister-in-law and brother-in-law are formal terms so why not uncle-in-law or cousin-in-law.

Quote from: majm
If you wish to give a label.....

That's the point. The names have been changed :-) but I've actually been asked to "give a label" to this exact situation and I'm not a genealogist. Anyone can say “Gina’s Dad was once married to the sister of Donald and Edward’s Dad” but "Gina" and "Edward" wonder if someone who knows what they're talking about can formalise their relationship.

Quite prepared to tell them that there's no formal relationship but it would be nice for them if there were.

Thanks again
Beg

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 February 15 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Quite prepared to tell them that there's no formal relationship but it would be nice for them if there were.

There is no formal relationship.

From a social viewpoint, the easiest label would be Donald and Edward are Gina's step-cousins.  Assuming of course that Step relationships are not blood relationships (Add, so hopefully the friendship relationships can survive regardless of any divorces for the aunt/uncle/parent that introduced Donald and Edward to Gina or vice versa)

Cheers,  JM

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 February 15 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Aha! We have a winner... ex-half first step cousins-in-law :)

If that doesn't bring a smile to their faces nothing will.

Thanks for your help Majm.

Spades... I think this can be filed away as completed.

All the best
Beg