Author Topic: (*) Brown  (Read 1400 times)

Offline graham44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
(*) Brown
« on: Friday 13 February 15 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm helping my friend who is trying to find her birth mother in the UK, (*)Brown, b.1938, or either of her half-sisters, (*)Brown, b.1959, and (*)Brown, b.1962, all in the area of Croydon, S. London. They can be followed till 1967, but are gone from the area by 1969. They are proving impossible to find in the UK, but having noticed some records of those names in the Australian electoral rolls for 1977 and 1980, esp the area of Corangamite, Victoria, where two of those names might be living close together, I just wondered if they might have emigrated. I have no particular reason for thinking that, just checking all the options.

Anyone in Australia able to follow any of this up for me, hopefully more recent details that I can't access easily from the UK? Thanks in anticipation, Graham

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
likely living person request
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 February 15 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

It is very likely that the persons you are naming in your post are still alive, and perhaps you have forgotten the RChat policy re living persons.  Australia has some very strong privacy laws, particularly privacy for the individual. 

Here's a great thread about how to ask for a look up, and it addresses the living persons policy.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=368728.0   
"Here on RootsChat we are very concerned that the privacy and security of the living is protected. For this reason we do not allow searches for living persons. Although we fully understand you would like recent information to add to your tree, or that you may wish to make contact with birth families, relatives you lost contact with when they immigrated to Australia, missing family or friends, we are afraid we are unable to assist you."

Perhaps you could edit your post to remove the names of anyone that you cannot already confirm are no longer living. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline graham44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: (*) Brown
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 February 15 13:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm certainly hoping that all of the persons are still alive, but wasn't aware of the rules of Rootschat.

So presumably you will remove this post.

Any ideas about how I might search for these people in Australia, while being myself in the UK?

Thanks, Graham

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 February 15 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Graham

How do you know that the birth mother didn't get married in England?

There are several potential candidates in the England & Wales marriage index.

If she did get married then the 2 girls might have changed their surnames to that of their mothers husband.

Has your friend got all this information from their adoption file?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline graham44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 February 15 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for taking the trouble to look. Yes it's possible that she married again, but there are too many Browns to look at them all at £9.25 a time. We have looked at all the obvious marriages from the Surrey SE / Croydon area, and none of them is her. My friend was adopted at birth, so there are no later details in the adoption papers.

Graham