Author Topic: Kneale Henry  (Read 4125 times)

Offline DianaAUS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kneale Henry
« on: Friday 13 February 15 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I believe my Great Great Grandfather was Henry Kneale born 12 Mar 1857 on the Isle of Man the family story is that his father, John, was captain of ship and Henry was working on boat and he jumped ship in South Australia (before 1881 when Henry married Helen Little in South Australia)
John Kneale May have been born Mar 10 1822 in Ramsey, Isle of Man.
I'm hoping someone can help tell me if this info is correct or not and maybe add any other details would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Di

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Kneale Henry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 February 15 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Looking at the 1861 IOM census - there is only one Henry Kneale with a father John

Henry is 5yrs old b Lonan and John is 37 b Lezayre.  John was a lead miner.

In 1871 Henry was 16 and John was 45 - still a lead miner.  This Henry was baptised in 1855 as per Family Search

Do you know the name of Henry's mother?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline DianaAUS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 February 15 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Sounds like it could be close, not sure of the mothers name I'm not entirely sure the info is correct (other than their names and Henry's age) the story has been passed through the family. Been told there was A John Kneale born 10 March 1822, Ramsey, Isle of Man, obtained his master's certificate at Liverpool. Can't find Henry Kneale coming to Australia either so not sure if story is true
Thanks for your help

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 February 15 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I have no record of a John Kneale around that date (but try www.imuseum.im) but there is an illegitimate bapt for a John Kneale bapt 11 Mar 1821 in Ramsey - the Manx (unlike the English) knew such by their father's name (which would generally be known as both he + mother would be presented to church court for fornication) - parents here were John Kneale + Ann Corlett.
Civil registration for births only became compusoly on Island in early 1880's - you are looking at baptisms for both of them if Island born.
If he got a master's cert via Liverpool I suspect he lived there and if any family you would likely find them there.
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 February 15 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I have checked the 1861 and 1871 census for England (not just Lancashire) but there is no entry for a Henry Kneale/Neale or variation born IOM
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 February 15 21:20 GMT (UK) »
another Manx 'tradition' was to use the 2nd given name in preference to the 1st - there is in the 1861 census a 4 yr old William Henry Kneale son to unmarried Margaret Corlet - living in Sulby Village Lezayre (not that far from Ramsey) - I don't have the presentments for 1855 so can't check if any presentment
any thing with a Manx Connection